× Family & Parenting

Managing an academic career with family?

More
11 years 7 months ago #49872 by Doc201X
Opps, I didn't answer the OP's question.

I think the best place for balancing an research career with clinical duties is with the federal gov't, ie NIH, NCI, FDA, ect. With the feds while there is pressure to publish and innovate, there's none to get your own funding/write grants. I've spoken to many Gov't scientists and doctors and they all agree.

My plan when I finish school is to go back to the NIH and split that work with an Adjunct position at a local university or community college.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #49873 by amf77
Path, that sounds like a great balance. With respect to the NIH or other government agencies, would you have to be based in DC or are you talking about applying for grant money from the NIH for funding specific research (I thought NIH grants were very difficult to come by)? Or can you collaborate on ongoing research at NIH from your academic institution's lab?

I'm not sure if my questions make sense... :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #49874 by Doc201X

Originally posted by amf77:
Path, that sounds like a great balance. With respect to the NIH or other government agencies, would you have to be based in DC or are you talking about applying for grant money from the NIH for funding specific research (I thought NIH grants were very difficult to come by)? Or can you collaborate on ongoing research at NIH from your academic institution's lab?

I'm not sure if my questions make sense... :)

Depends is the answer to your first qestion, and yes to the other two. However, I should also point out that you can be a "Fed" working at any number of places in the US. I posted some links on Mommd so you may want to do a search. In the meantime, check out this link for Federal positions in the US and throughout the world:

www.usajobs.opm.gov/

Good luck!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!