× Family & Parenting

lack of NICU

More
12 years 4 months ago #50329 by rianah100
Hi All,
I have a Q regarding previa. I know complete previa pregnancies are considered high-risk. Like Suzanne, I also have complete previa. So, far my obgyn thinks he can handle my case fine. He did send me to a perinatologist earler for an NT scan and a L2 scan. My perinatologist works at the same hospital as my obgyn (well, my ob does surgeries at the same hospital). But this particular hospital does not have a NICU. They do have a neonatal nursing team. So, they send any premie babies that require more than 1 month stay to a Childrens' hospital in the city.

I have considered getting the C-section done at the Childrens' hospital but I am running into 2 things.
#1 It is 16 miles away where as the hospital where my ob works is 5 miles away.
#2 My ob does not have privilieges to do surgeries at the Children's hospital.

I am currently in my 32nd week and a bit hesitant to change my ob at this point.

Now this is all an issue only in case of complications. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? What did you do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #50330 by mrssd
I loved my ob but I always maintained that if there was anything remotely concerning with my pregnancy I would have delivered at the hospital in my area with the best NICU. My ob did not have privileges there but it isn't about anyone but your baby and you and you need to feel good about the care your baby will get. If it were me I would deliver at the hospital with the NICU, God forbid you need it, but at least you won't have to worry about transferring the baby while you stay at a hospital 11 miles away. I would bet that your ob could give you a referral to a great ob at that hospital that can do your c-section. You can always follow up with your ob after delivery. Good luck and keep us posted!

More
12 years 4 months ago #50331 by rianah100
mrssd,
Thanks for your reply. Initially, my reaction was the same as yours. The only thing that stopped me from asking for a referral was -
if and when bleeding occurs due to previa, I am supposed to call 911 and go to the ER right away. If this happens during rush hour, it might take the ambulance awhile to get to the hospital with NICU.

More
12 years 4 months ago #50332 by rianah100
Sorry, submitted the response before Iw as done.
So, my thinking is god forbid something comes up before the scheduled c-section date, I would go to the ER at the hospital with NICU. If I continue normally till my c-section date, I could have my ob do the c-section.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!