× Family & Parenting

When to stop taking OCP?

More
12 years 1 month ago #51401 by docE
I'm hoping to become pregnant this summer (hopefully between June-August) I'll be an MS3 and this is really good timing for us so I want to do everything I can to facilitate the timing ;) How long were you off birth control before you became pregnant? I've heard about 3 months is what to expect. I've had several friends become pregnant in the first two months, and a couple others who it's taken years for. I've been on BC for 7 years and my periods were irregular before that, so my thinking right now is to give myself about 5 months and chart my cycles (and use condoms) so i can have a better idea what's going on. What have your experiences been?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #51402 by Baby Einstein
First cycle both times. I was really surprised the first time because I had been on it for many years (probably close to 10). I can't remember what my cycles were like before BC...

If yours have been irregular, I think you should stop ASAP and chart, considering how important timing is for you. 5-6 months is good but it may take you that long for your cycles to normalize. The better you know your cycles, the more likely you are to conceive when you want to.

Good luck! Have fun!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #51403 by siflower
Hi DocE,
I did exactly what you said. I went off of OCP's 5 months ahead of time and charted my cycles. I then got pregnant on the first try, in August of my MS3 year. I had been on OCP's for 7 years.

I highly recommend the book, "The Fastest Way to Get Pregant Naturally: Conceiving on your own timetable." It's written by an OB/GYN reproductive endocrinologist.

Good luck!
Anna

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!