× General Discussion

college majors

More
13 years 4 days ago #7028 by alyssak
I don't know why, but I love to know people's majors. Please post yours!

A while back, while helping my boyfriend research a speech I came across a statistic stating that more Music majors than any other major are accepted to med school. On the one hand, I can see 'setting yourself apart' by taking the road less traveled and being a humanities/art/etc major as opposed to the more traditional natural science major. But I've really been pulled to being a bio major, because I've fallen in love with bio.

Nat. science majors: Did you choose to be a science major before or after choosing to be a doctor? Would you change it? Did you ever get afraid that if you backed out of being a doctor you'd have a hard time finding some other profession you enjoyed pertaining to your major?

Other majors: Do you feel you had an advantage applying to med school? Do you feel as though another major gave you a different perspective on medicine and science? Would you change your major?

"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself." -- Jacques Cousteau

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 days ago #7029 by star
I majored in liberal arts and was in the honors program at my university. If I hadn't been confident in my ability or my desire to become a physician, I probably wouldn't have chosen to major in liberal arts. There just aren't really jobs out there that I would have wanted to pursue with that major. I think it may have given me a little bit of an advantage. Admissions commitees like well-rounded students. I also knew that I would get all the interesting science (biology has always been my favorite subject) my little heart desired in medical school, so I wanted to do something different during undergrad. I've always loved to read, so I chose not to go the traditional route. No regrets :)

Star

More
13 years 3 days ago #7030 by ParrotHead81
Zoology (bio w/o the plants :) ) and a minor in Molecular Bio (just happened to take the classes, so filed for it)

But my college was a liberal arts school, so I feel like I got a pretty well rounded education. From Sexuality in Literature and Women's Studies to Calc and Organic Chemistry. Oh, and horseback riding for the fun of it. Wish they offered that at med school!

I agree, it's fun to find out what everyone's interests are.

More
13 years 2 days ago #7031 by alyssak

Originally posted by star:
I also knew that I would get all the interesting science (biology has always been my favorite subject) my little heart desired in medical school, so I wanted to do something different during undergrad. I've always loved to read, so I chose not to go the traditional route. No regrets :)

Very good point, saving yourself from getting sick of science.. You take so many science classes as a premed anyway!

"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself." -- Jacques Cousteau

More
13 years 2 days ago #7032 by alkatz
I chose Microbiology because I love to study infectious disease and immunology. At the time, I was still deciding between becoming a PhD or MD. After working in labs with PhD's I decided I would never be happy in that situation.

I loved my major and did really well. It included all pre-meds as course requirements in addition to biochem. I started a minor in German language but lost interest after the language courses were done.

My only regret is that I am 'deemed' not well-rounded and got accepted on my third year of applying. The "not-well-rounded" concept is ridiculous because of my life's experiences, occupations, and places I have lived. I think my beef is with the institution from which I got my BS, not the major. There is no pre-med support and you have to fight your way into a prof's confidence to get any decent letters written. Despite the major, I have been unable to land a permanent job in research and work the job I did to get me through college. I don't know if I would have chosen another type, because I really love this subject and wanted more information than I was likely to get in medical school.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

More
13 years 2 days ago #7033 by Rena
I'm a neuroscience major mainly because I'm fascinated with how the brain shapes who we are. However my interest is not solely from a psychology point of view. I want to understand the biology that goes with it.

When I started I did not have a minor. While taking my gen ed classes I took a contemporary native issues class and became addicted to ethnic studies. Now that's my minor. Very interesting stuff.

Rena
(sorry about the lack of commas. The comma key is broken.)

BGSU AMSA secretary<br />Ohio NAMI board of trustees

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!