× General Discussion

Someone please tell me not to pick OB/GYN

More
9 years 11 months ago #73448 by southernmd
I am not the OP here, but I have been in a preceptorship for a bit in OB/GYn with a doc who is letting me learn A LOT hands-on, and I first assisted a c-section today....And he said I did really well! ARG - why do I have to love this so much already?

Please...tell me again? Ob/Gyn...I won't be happy? Are we sure about this? ??? I think I might be in love with this specialty, and it might not be puppy love.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I feel the OP's pain here. I love this specialty so far! Everything about it! Please tell me what other specialty I can channel this to - I heart surgery/clinic/variety!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #73449 by asunshine
Thank you, Eema! You really are a hero for surviving all of that. I'm glad you found a gig that works for you.

To be totally honest, I probably would like MFM better than neo (I was an ICU nurse and really like the complicated stuff....and have this creepy obsession with ultrasounds). But, the bottom line seems to be that peds is a better lifestyle, even if I like OB more.

More
9 years 11 months ago #73464 by lori
Love OB too. A very smart Cardiac anesthesiologist talked me out of it. I am currently in my last year of a FP residency with heavy emphasis on OB. Still love OB, but I get to see my peds, Geriatric and male patients too. I will never forget just a few months ago scrubbing on a c-section (first assist not primary) and breaking scrub right after because the baby was krumping. Great feeling being the jack of trade and master of none. And yes, FP has its fair share of geriatrics, just what you are comfortable managing.

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
9 years 9 months ago #74179 by medimom
I am currently a third year medical student. I have read this thread off and on as I have had the neonatology/OB debate with myself.

I am very interested in women's health and babies. I was wondering if anyone has heard of family practice w/ OB running a primarily women's and children practice. Do you think this type of practice would be practical and sustainable?

Also, how does the cost of malpractice insurance and the need to find an OB as back up effect the reality of going into FP w/ OB?

More
9 years 9 months ago #74180 by reluctantmd
medimom, I think your idea is fantastic! I am an ob/gyn and would love a FP in our practice. There are so many women who use their ob/gyn as their primary care physician (we aren't really trained in primary care at all, so I am not sure why this trend seems to exist)and would be better served if someone trained in primary care was in the practice while the ob/gyns stick to more surgical gyn issues. While this arrangement might not work well with some ob/gyns, it's been my experience so far that most would be more than happy with the benefits this practice set-up would afford. It might be a little difficult to find an 'ideal' practice like this for you though, it is kind of a radical idea but you would be wise to pursue it. Maybe you could brainstorm with some of the ob/gyns you work with now during your residency to see what their opinion on the matter is. Another option is for you to do a year-long 'OB fellowship' for family practice physicians. Many smaller communities don't have any ob/gyns and their family practice physicians do all their own c-sections and even some general surgery cases (appys, choles, etc). You might want to seek out the ob fellowship route where you can learn to perform c-sections. Good luck!

More
9 years 9 months ago #74184 by efex101
I have heard that many FP's do kind of "specialize" in their preferred patient population. So you may just do women health and lets say pediatrics, others choose to do only geriatrics and adults, etc.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!