× General Discussion

Any birth video or training to recommend?

More
9 years 7 months ago #74051 by emmd2012
Hi, I'm an emergency medicine resident; and my husband is not in medicine. We're expecting our first baby in 5 months! What would you recommend that we do to prepare us for the birth process? I feel like I know a lot of it from my OBGYN rotations; so, I'm not sure a regular class would benefit me that much. I would like to do something so that my husband feels more prepared, though. Should we just do a class? Or is there a video you might recommend?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #74053 by Emily2651
What kind of birth do you hope to have?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
9 years 7 months ago #74055 by Docmomof4
We actually did a class b/c hubby isn't in medicine-I would recommend a one day thing though, and lactation class was valuable for both of us...Not sure about birth videos, maybe your dr or hospital could recommend some...

More
9 years 7 months ago #74058 by espm
I had my daughter in residency as well and didn't have time to go to a scheduled class. I borrowed this video from my public library (Laugh and Learn About Childbirth).

www.amazon.com/Laugh-Learn-About-Childbi...id=1272076414&sr=8-2

My husband and I watched it in the evenings before going to bed. It teaches you breathing techniques to help you get through childbirth (Lamaze) and talks about the different stages of labor and how to push, etc. The video is pretty annoying at times but made me feel more confident prior to actually giving birth. However, when I actually went into labor, it was so painful I asked for the epidural right away. The nurse anesthetist was busy with other women so it took 2 hours before I could get the epidural and I think the breathing techniques helped me survive those 2 painful hours, but I do not think I could have gotten through the entire labor with just the breathing techniques. That being said, there are a lot of people who labor naturally and do well. I had hoped to be one of those women but it just wasn't for me. I had absolutely no pain once I had the epidural and actually took a long nap until I was completely dilated.

More
9 years 7 months ago #74060 by dr.leahs
I took hypnobirthing classes and loved them. I still use some of the relaxation techniques to reduce stress. I was able to use the methods to have a completely natural birth, which is what I was hoping for. You have to decide what type of birth you want to have, but then be open to changes. But I was recommend some type of child birth education for your husband just so he is prepared (my husband isn't in medicine either).

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!