× General Discussion

The positive aspect of being a mom in medicine

More
15 years 3 months ago #7423 by mommd2b
...or in any career for that matter!

With all of the recent negative attention we've given to the downside, I think we should make it our goal to write 5 pages (isn't that about how long that other thread went?) about the benefits!!!

Our pediatrician works part-time and is raising 4 children. I am able to relate to her much better because of the fact that she has children. (I don't think she's a half-ass pediatrician either :rolleyes: ). She understands the concerns that I have as a mother as well as the other issues involved in trying to raise half of a little soccer team :D . She has a long waiting list for appointments, but I'd rather wait and see her than see her female colleague who is single and has no children.

kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #7424 by CaLiGirL:)
My daughter's pediatrician is actually a bit older, I'd say in her mid 40's. She has several children of her own, and she told me she was pretty fresh out of residency. I don't know her status as to whether she works full-time or part-time... but she certainly has an excellent way of dealing with her young patients. When my daughter went in b/c of a fever when she was 2, the first words out of her mouth wasn't to feed her motrin, or tylenol, but to try going into the cool bath with her. She said that the cool bath would help to bring down her fever, and me being in there with her would help to comfort her. She said that mom's comfort was almost the best remedy for children's ailments... and I totally agree.

Now, that sounds like something a good mom would say. :)

More
15 years 3 months ago #7425 by EKM
I think a great thing about being a doctor and a Mommy is being able to take care of my family. I will hopefully be able to give them helpful advice so that if they ever get sick, I know that I can help them. Maybe this sounds silly, but I feel better knowing whats going on when someone is sick and maybe being able to help them. Reassurance maybe.
:) :D

More
15 years 3 months ago #7426 by PremedRN
I think I will make a full-a$$ed doctor by being a full-a$$ed mother because I have mastered many things while raising six chidren. I have learned the art of having patience, have a great ability to focus no matter what is going on, learned treating not only the human "owies", but the human spirit can be just as important, and there isnt a task on this earth to mundane for me EVER and Ive learned so many more thing more things, that only through MY experiences as a mother could I have ever acquired which will make me a great mother doc. At school, they call me "Mama Jones", it makes me smile.

More
15 years 3 months ago #7427 by EKM
You are so funny Dana! :) But that is true, being a Mommy is great experience! And you definately have it! ;)

More
15 years 3 months ago #7428 by PremedRN
The funny thing is about the "Mama Jones" is, Im not much older than them......but hey, if ya got a half dozen of kids, ya got a half dozen of kids! ;)

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!