× General Discussion

Planning on having a baby during intern year?

More
8 years 10 months ago #77672 by southernbelle
Is anyone planning on having a baby intern year since the rules for intern hours have changed to 16 hours on call then 5 hours off? I think we may be planning on a baby sooner because of this, although I haven't talked to my husband yet...lol I am currently an OMS-III and want a baby before I'm 30. I'm 27 now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77674 by sahmd
I wonder if ACGME has considered that the new rules mean that more interns will be having babies...that will be interesting. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #77675 by twinmom
I actually think it's going to be worse from a family perspective. Perhaps not with newborns, since their overnight hours are unpredictable, but we need to remember that the total number of hours (80/week) has not changed. At this point, I'm not thrilled that for most of the year next year, all 80 of the hours that I'll be working will be those in which my children are awake. I actually prefer overnight call, since I see my family more, as do all the guys in my class who have kids.

In general, people do say that intern year is a terrible time to have children. Most of our residency programs at my school are night float (meaning there aren't 24 hour calls except for a couple a month), and they still say this.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77676 by Baby Einstein

twinmom wrote: I actually prefer overnight call, since I see my family more, as do all the guys in my class who have kids.

I used to think that way as a med student, but overnight call as an intern is a different story. I could go home post-call and sleep right through til the next morning. Just brutal (and I'm a mom of two, I know a thing or two about sleep deprivation). Post-call afternoons are no longer my stolen time, oh no, it's either sleep a dead sleep, or drag my grumpy self through the whole day.

And unrelated, but I can't tell you how hard it is to fight the urge to throw the pager outside the 11th floor window during call. Oh wait a minute, there's no window anywhere I work/eat/sleep, that's right. Nevermind. (can you tell who's post-call?)

More
8 years 10 months ago #77690 by babylove
I agree with twin mom, the hours will be worse from a family perspective. Now instead of over night call, we will go to a night float. It means essentially I am at the hospital more of normal people waking hours, and there more often. And night float will not be more than 6 nights in a row, so it means you are switching from days to nights and back more often. I think the new rules are terrible on so many levels. At our program we will have fewer days off-- your switch day will be your day off, for example finish nights at 7am and then switch to days the next morning--that is your " day off". Augh. Kill me now.

More
8 years 10 months ago #77707 by Emily2651
I actually can't decide if the new work hours will be more or less family friendly. It's looking like I'll trade four or five months of overnight call next year for something like four weeks of nightfloat. But as PPs have said, this will mean longer days. Although it's not like my post call days this year are some kind of idyll. I'm post call right now, basically sprawled in the living room with my son, trying to muster the energy to make some mac and cheese for dinner. And failing.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!