× General Discussion

Planning on having a baby during intern year?

More
8 years 8 months ago #77708 by Emily2651
None of which is what I actually meant to say -- see, post call. What I meant to say is that having a baby during intern year, on purpose, is dumb, new work rules or no.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77709 by SW to MD
Lowly MS2 here, but from what I have seen of posts and working in a hospital setting, I would avoid having a baby intern year, or within a few months of intern year.

You are just *really* learning what you need to as a physician. Becoming a mother is one of those things that is going to totally change you- so much so that there is no way to prepare for it. Putting the two together could be a recipe for disaster.

Obviously there are some who may choose to do it, and some may live to tell the tale. But there are much better times to have children.

Like 4th year! ;)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
8 years 8 months ago #77716 by lyn2006
Current intern here who would be dying if we had a newborn. We started the year with a 4 1/2 month old. He started sleeping through the night by 6 months and it has made the year doable. When he gets sick and is up for hours in the middle of the night I think, "how do people have newborns when they're interns?".

And the truth is, you'll make it work. That's what being a mom is. You get 2 hours of sleep and then you do what you have to the next day. But this is a year where you are learning to be a doctor. Once you've gotten past intern year and have at least some doctoring experience then you can focus on a pregnancy and new baby more.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77717 by lola1984
I wasn't planning on it, but things happen, and now I am due to have a baby girl on June 24th - right around the first day of orientation for intern year. And as the previous poster said, we will "make it work". My potential program director is very understanding and seems willing to work with me. I'm a little nervous now, but will probably be much more nervous as it gets closer and more real!

More
8 years 8 months ago #77888 by Docmomof4
Hey Lola-we have the same due date!

More
8 years 8 months ago #78006 by babylove
Congrats and good luck!

Literally 4 of my friends have had babies this year during our intern year-- it's crazy but not impossible :)

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!