× General Discussion

matched! :) pregnant and overwhelmed though...

More
8 years 7 months ago #78728 by lola1984
Today was match day, and I got my #1 choice, yay! But instead of feeling happy I've been crying all afternoon because I'm so overwhelmed about the future.

The first day of orientation at the program I matched at is June 24th. My due date is... June 24th. I just feel so overwhelmed and am freaking out because I have no idea what to expect. I'm worried about deciding how much time to take off. I don't know if I'll be paid during my time off or not. There is so much that I don't know right now, and i don't know where to start. I wish I had someone that I could go talk to about everything, but I feel like my situation is so unique that no one will understand.

I want to be happy right now, not crying at home by myself :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #78730 by sahmd
First things first: congratulations on getting your #1 choice! That's great!

You will obviously need to let your residency program know soon so that they are not totally shocked when you need time off to give birth. Try to attend as much of orientation as possible to show that you are invested in the program. I would even nurse the baby in front of my colleagues (discreetly!) if that was the only way I could attend. :) It will be difficult for you and it will also be difficult for your program, but if you work together with them, I'm sure you will come up with some solutions that will work. I hope your husband and both your families are all on board with supporting you through the next year!

More
8 years 7 months ago #78731 by residentmom
Definitely start by talking with the program director... he or she will know what is required, what your rights are, and how to arrange things for you. If you matched, they are stuck with you. :) (I really mean that jokingly, obviously they wanted you, but wanted to clarify since I know those pregnancy hormones are rough.) :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 7 months ago #78735 by lola1984
Thank for the advice everyone. I guess it wasn't clear in my first post, the program already knows and has known since very early in the pregnancy. The PD was very encouraging and said I could take as much time off as I wanted, and that I would get first pick of the schedules so that I can set up my rotations however I want. I'm mostly worried about money, because my husband's job does not make a lot money, so my income is going to be needed. The PD said something about if I can at least get started with orientation before the baby comes that I would be able to get disability. Does anyone know if that's true? I just wish I knew more details... maybe that will come soon.

By the way, I'm going into Family Practice, so at least I picked a family-friendly specialty

More
8 years 7 months ago #78742 by English
Congrats, Lola! I think that you should maybe call or visit (if possible) the HR Dept at the hospital that will employ you. Since you will be an employee of their's they can tell you what options are available to you- leave & income wise. If you can consider getting some type of short term disability- usually this is through your employer, but you can get it from the people who do your life insurance, long term disability, etc. (insurance co). I would check on the short term disability asap because they may be your best bet. Good luck!

More
8 years 7 months ago #78753 by lola1984
Thanks English! I emailed the program coordinator today, and she told me that the program director is out of town for a week, so I'm going to email him next week and hopefully he'll have more concrete information for me. Talking to HR is a good idea too. I just hope that I'll be eligible for disability so that we have at least a little bit of income to help us out.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!