× General Discussion

figuring out how we'll survive

More
8 years 7 months ago #79098 by lola1984
I'm a 4th-year, 29 weeks pregnant, supposed to start FM residency in a few months. However, I am due on the 1st day of orientation. The PD knew about the pregnancy prior to matching, and seems very willing to work with me, but I'm just worried about how everything will work out, especially money wise. I met with the PD the other day, and together we came up with the plan that I will attend as much of orientation as I can before the baby comes. Then, once I go to the hospital, my PTO will start. We get 18 days of PTO. Then, once I have been offically employed for 4-weeks, I would be eligible for short-term disability.

I think this is our best option. My husband will be working, but only earns about $300/wk, so it's not enough for a whole family to survive off of. It's not even enough to pay for daycare once I go back. So he'll probably end up staying home for at least a few months. Hopefully he'll end up liking it, and will want to stay home longer, because it will save us money.

Also, the PD says I can pick my rotation schedule first. I'm probably going to set up the easier/less time-consuming rotations first. (outpt. peds, ER, OB, surgery). I think this will make it easier for pumping. However, it makes me very scared about the last 2/3 of the year, since I will have all the busier rotations, and all of my PTO will be used up. I'm worried about my sanity.

Any thoughts/comments/advice?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79114 by mohm
I would try to get in touch with a resident ideally who has had children in training or has young children in the program who can guide you on setting up rotations. I would start out easy, but I wouldn't stack too many "easy" rotations. You will need some lighter rotations later on in the year.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79116 by residentmom
Do you get any electives as an intern? Can you do one that amounts to home study, to try to save some PTO? Is this your first baby? If your husband likes staying home, that sounds like an awesome option-- if your ONLY job is your job, life will not be that bad, even with a newborn at home. It's when you start adding in all those pesky extras like vacuuming, dishes, shopping, etc that life gets hard. :) Don't be afraid to admit that you are struggling if you are, and reach out for help... better to get help than to suffer in silence and fail rotations. you can do this!! Maybe your young one will be super thoughtful and show up a couple weeks early... that would be ideal. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79118 by nerdy
In terms of $, do you qualify for WIC/etc as a student? That may help with some of the expenses.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79125 by **DONOTDELETE**
Hello everyone.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79143 by lyn2006
As residentmom said, if your husband ends up loving staying home and all you have to worry about is your job, it won't be too bad. If I didn't have a child I don't think residency would be that bad (I'm in an anesthesia program, doing my transitional/prelim intern year). You work long hours, but if you're able to come home at night, see your babe for a bit, and then sleep when you need to, I think you'll be alright.

Does your husband plan to stay home? Does he think he'll like it? What are the hours like during your more difficult rotations?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!