× General Discussion

figuring out how we'll survive

More
8 years 7 months ago #79198 by ZOJ
Oh wow. Well I guess I have to plan to incorporate formula if I cannot pump. Your friend is a PGY4 which I would assume would have more free time. I have no idea how family friendly my program is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79219 by clee03m
I hope FM would be more family friendly? Also, when you are stuck in the OR, you are stuck in the OR. I would think office/hospital offers more flexibility?

What I think you should keep in mind is that even with limited pumping, you can still make milk. I got to pump on the average about once in a 10 hour period when I came back to work, and I was still able to exclusively breastfeed my baby at night, post call, and on weekends. And supply has been always an issue for me. Now that he's older than a year old, I stopped pumping, and he still feeds from me happily though I offer cow's milk when he seems unsatified. There is this weird culture of all or nothing mentality when it comes to breastfeeding. I think if you can exclusively breastfeed, great. But next best thing is to breastfeed and supplement with formula. I even had a lactation consultant tell me to give up breastfeeding altogether than to do both. Weird.

I am so excited for you! I miss the newborn phase.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79220 by clee03m
My tips for quick pump sessions. Have your husband assemble the pump parts for you at home. At work, you don't want to waste time assembling. Have a handy wipe available (I like hand wipes) to quickly get pump area clean. After you pump, don't bother washing the parts. Instead, when you put your milk into fridge or freezer, put the pump parts (still assembled) in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge. Then you can use it next time and it will be already assembled and ready for you next time. For me, even a difference between 12 min (my usual pump time) vs 14 min would mean a difference between being able to pump between cases or not. Once you get into a routine, it really didn't take any longer than the actual time to pump for me.

I am so glad I don't pump regularly anymore. I really hated pumping. Good luck to you

More
8 years 7 months ago #79222 by ZOJ
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to enjoy the newborn period as much as possible as that is what I'm worried about the most.

More
8 years 7 months ago #79245 by asunshine
I do what clee03m does, except I rinse the parts and skip the fridge. If I'm not near a fridge, I keep the milk in my pump bag since it can last a while at room temp. Medela parts can be run in the dishwasher (except the membranes and tubing).

More
8 years 7 months ago #79249 by mohm
I run my membranes in the dishwasher attached to the valve. We do not dry with the heating element. I also put my parts in the refrigerator in a zip lock, rinse them at the end of the day, and put them in the dishwasher.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!