× General Discussion

figuring out how we'll survive

More
8 years 6 months ago #79164 by ZOJ
I am in the same boat. I am due mid June and am starting residency late June (anesthesiology). My OB offered to induce me at 39 weeks and I'll probably take her on her offer. Fortunately my husband agreed to be a stay at home dad, but only temporarily. I still worry about starting residency with a newborn though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #79174 by lola1984
My husband has offered to stay at home for at least 2-3 months. I am not sure if he'll like it or not, because he's the type of guy that likes to get out of the house and do stuff outside. On the other hand he is excited about the baby, and I think he'll be great with her, so I'm hoping that it will turn out that he loves being home with her and he'll be willing to stay home longer. That would just make everything easier! We are somewhat close to family (both of our families are about an hour away), but not close enough that we can use them for help on a regular basis.

ZOJ - are you planning on taking time off? When I met with our PD, he was like "So, you're taking 12 weeks off, right?" And I was like, "um - yeah, sure!" I'm glad to have the time off, but I also feel like I'll be behind all the other interns, and won't know anyone. I'm doing an AI at the hospital I matched at right now though, so at least I'll know the senior residents,...

More
8 years 6 months ago #79184 by ZOJ
I'm hoping my husband will love staying home with the baby and will want to stay home longer as well. I haven't told my PD but we are moving across country for residency and my husband will not be working, so I have to start on time because we need at least one income. I'm more worried about immediately having to leave my baby everyday to go to work than postpartum recovery. Do you plan on breastfeeding? I want to exclusively breastfeed and I am wondering if pumping as an intern is actually feasible?

More
8 years 6 months ago #79191 by lyn2006
ZOJ - it is feasible although not easy. I'm an anesthesia intern and pumped for the first half of this year. are you doing a medicine prelim? transitional? or starting CA-1 this year?

More
8 years 6 months ago #79196 by ZOJ
Lyn-Thanks for replying. I'm in a categorical program and the first year they say is like a transitional year. I know there will be a lot of ICU rotations. If I can at least pump for 6 months I will be happy but my goal is a year.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #79197 by clee03m
My friend, aka the legend, pumped so much during her time off on her PGY4 year that when she came back, she had 6 months worth of milk saved up. She already knew pumping was totally unrealistic in our residency. She breasfed as long as she could after, but with no pumping and 12 hour days, she dried up pretty quickly after. My program was very family unfriendly (make that family hostile).

That was an anesthesia residency, BTW.
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!