× General Discussion

EM vs FM for family life

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #82569 by SGI- Val
Hi Maggie80
I worked in ER medicine for about 20 years. I agree with the person that said choose the specialty you love. When I started in '83 ER medicine was quite different for women and faced many challenges which you may not have to. So here's the deal. I also hated nights and when I started they were 12hrs!! However I believe painful as it was it was worth it.
What I loved- When I was off I was really off - no calls so I could really enjoy not thinking about the ER.
I also loved not having to show up to work everyday. So I worked about 37hrs a week Which was about 3 or 4 shifts. this gave me time away which served me well for many years.
Of course when I was on I worked very hard with all the challenges of being a hospital based physician (administration, pt satisfaction surveys, covering doctor issues, no breaks etc). However I absolutely loved the patients (most of the time) , the challenge, pace and variety of issues. Great satisfaction when you got it right. For many years I would hate every night I had to do but belonging to an ER group I only had to do maybe 4 a month which was tolerable. Holidays can be challenging especially when you have children having to choose one or another or bargaining with other docs. Never get sick because you usually have to find your own coverage. Loved the comraderie I formed with ER staff and finding a good hospital and staff and coworkers is important as well. I'd say I was in love with ER medicine and learned so much from patients both in a medical sense and in terms of life. I grew in compassion and knowledge and later confidence. But I will say that ER medicine doesn't age well. Menopause was not pleasant but I'm sure you're far away from that. All in all I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything and although I am not active in ER I sometimes miss those days. So much more exciting than being in an office setting I think. Hope this helps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 days ago #82734 by MTaylor
At Jenn - 150 hrs/month?! That's crazy. Some groups consider full time 80hrs/month. Most consider 120hrs/month full time. Those 'extra' 30 hours make a HUGE difference.

Have you considered cutting back further? Most groups....only care if you expect to get the profit-sharing hand-out. And then other groups...just want your proportion of 'undesirable' shifts to equal (nights/weekends/holidays = undesirable).

Maybe consider working for multiple groups so you can control your days better?

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
8 years 3 days ago #82735 by MTaylor
At SGI-Val - what do you do now?

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!