× General Discussion

Depressed and Discouraged: Help

More
8 years 3 months ago #82565 by lucianmommyoftwins
I am a mother of four year old twins. I am currently a Science teacher. I took a few years off before applying because I wanted my kids to be a little older. I took the MCAT in August but my score was really bad (16O). I thought about going offshore and applied to Ross University and I got my rejection letter today. I have always wanted to become a physician. There is absolutely nothing else that I want to pursue but that rejection letter and my MCAT score made me feel very discouraged. I really don't want to give up on my dream. I'm thinking of taking the MCAT over in February but that pushes me back another year. I also had a really rough year this past year. I lost my grandmother who meant the world to me and my job was very stressful to the point where I was on the verge of quitting. Does anyone have advice as to strategies that would work to improve my score? I'm a bad test taker. Do I have any other options? My GPA is 3.5 and I had a 3.95 GPA when I graduated with my MSED. I've done Kaplan and I have all the materials. Please help me! I'm losing hope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #82566 by sahmd
I am sorry about your rejection and about your grandmother as well. :( I don't have any advice about improving your test taking ability, but I will point out that test taking is also an issue throughout medical school, residency, and practice as board certification and re-certification is now increasingly required for all doctors. Right or wrong, test scores determine your continued advancement in medical school, your chances of matching in your chosen specialty, your ability to complete residency, and your ability to get privileges at hospitals. If you can identify why you are having trouble with tests and can fix it to bring your score way up, then great! If not, then the rejection is probably a blessing in disguise and can free you up to explore other fields that might be fulfilling without requiring so much standardized testing. Good luck!

More
8 years 3 months ago #82567 by jonesie
I took the mcat 5 times, took Kaplan once in person and once online.

I scored nearly the same the first four times, and during that time retook several of the basic science classes while working.

By the last time I took the mcat, I had retaken a year of gen chem and a year of physics (it'd been a long time for me for those classes, and I didn't learn much the first time. Thats also when I did the online kaplan with question bank.

I did much better that last time (but still not fantastic) and finally got an interview. I had also made a contact at the school I wanted to attend and met with them annually after each rejection to get suggestions on how to improve my admission odds.

You really want to go to med school? You can. It just may take longer than you think and you may need to retake some basic science and find an admissions person who can help you. If I can get in, anyone can - and you better believe I've been grateful for it (nearly) every day. Having to work hard and get through 5 rounds of rejection has made me a lot more appreciative of the opportunity, and my life experience before med school has served me well. I think I'm a much better doctor than I may have been if I'd gotten in that first time.

Pm me if you want more details. My advise? Dont give up. Yes, med school is full of tests. I don't. Test well, and I made it through med school just fine. Worked hard, harder than many, but did it - you can too.

More
8 years 3 months ago #82579 by goodmomhappybaby
Have you checked forums.studentdoctor.com? They have many threads that are helpful with not only the mcat but the entire medschool application as well. Here's a post in particular which many premeds said helped them a lot through studying for the mcat: forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but allow it to let you down. Use that to maybe even motivate yourself to do better the next time around. Good luck!

More
8 years 3 months ago #82580 by Doc201X
Test taking can definitely be improved upon, with hard, HARD work and minus a specific time frame, it gets fixed, when it gets fixed.

But I disagree with using the site mentioned above while you're working on your test taking issues/rejections. Unless you don't mind being made to feel worse than you already do.

Good luck!

PS- MANY people struggle to do well on the MCAT the first time for one reason or another but won't admit it, so trust me, you're definitely not alone in this!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 2 months ago #82857 by lucianmommyoftwins
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!