× General Discussion

Leaving after intern year?

More
7 years 6 months ago #84557 by LoveBug14
I know this is putting the cart before the horse.... I am in my 4th year, set to start family medicine residency in July, and I am having serious reservations about this whole thing (besides the fact it's terrifying to think about leaving my son, I simply don't think medicine is for me).

But, I think that I am least going to try. I owe that to my program I think - to not quit before even giving it a shot. In my state, you can get licensed after intern year. So I do hope to do that, at a minimum.

Does anyone know of or have personal experience with leaving a program after 1 year? Forgive my naivety, but it is even legal? Don't you sign a contract beforehand?

Thanks, any info would help a very nervous mama.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84566 by sahmd
I am glad that you are committed to at least trying internship. Keep in mind that it is the hardest year and things will get better after that. I don't know about the legal aspects of quitting after one year, but the farther you go in your training, the more options you will have as a doctor. Having a license is definitely better than just having an M.D., and you may be able to work in places like urgent care clinics. Completing residency is better and will qualify you for actual family medicine jobs. Becoming board certified will qualify you for better family medicine jobs and will give you more job security. Needless to say, getting more training will also make you a better doctor.

Of course, if medicine is not for you at all, then you would need to figure out what *is* for you and how much training you would need in order to do that.

I do hope you enjoy internship. From your other thread, it sounds like your son will be well taken care of so that you can focus on work as much as you need to.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84568 by LoveBug14
Thank you so much for your reply! I think I have spent the year slowly coming to terms with the fact that medicine is not for me at all... But, I do agree that it is best to leave at least one door open by hopefully securing a licence.

I literally shutter at the thought of starting internship. I think that spending several hours away from my little one when he's under someone's loving care, especially doing something I enjoy, is fabulous and much-needed. But the few shifts in the hospital I have done I have spent bitter, resentful of those around me and angry at myself for putting my family in this situation. I've been holding back tears during rounds and pretty much lose it whenever I see a baby. And to mention, it's like every fiber of my being is screaming to get out of the hospital.

Sigh... I hate to sound so ungrateful because I do know how lucky I am. So, I am trying to be proactive. And yes, I have looked into some fields that I hope to peruse, part-time, that I think are truly my calling :)

Again, if anyone knows about the logistics/legality of the whole thing please fill me in.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84575 by MomtoXan
LoveBug = I have no practical advice, but wanted to give you an internet *hug* because I'm also a 4th year with a baby and absolutely dreading residency at this point. I feel so conflicted - like I should be happy and grateful that I have a spot at all. But I matched somewhere where my husband won't find work easily and in a field that I don't really want to do anymore. I think the issue for you as well as for me is the debt that we have to repay for our degree (unless you are fortunate enough not to have any!) One possible out is the public service loan repayment program where they will forgive your federal loans after 10 years of public service. No one can guarantee the program will stick around though..

More
7 years 6 months ago #84576 by tr_

LoveBug14 wrote: But, I think that I am least going to try. I owe that to my program I think - to not quit before even giving it a shot. In my state, you can get licensed after intern year. So I do hope to do that, at a minimum.

Does anyone know of or have personal experience with leaving a program after 1 year? Forgive my naivety, but it is even legal? Don't you sign a contract beforehand?

Sorry, I have no personal experience with leaving residency but I do know our residency contracts were renewed every year, so the contract you sign at the beginning of the year is for that year only. There's no breach if you decide to leave the program after intern year.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84583 by LoveBug14
Thank you for your kind words MomtoXan!!

Ugh, loans constantly haunt me... We're somewhere around a half a million between Hubby and I. I can tell you the moment I decided that I might quit after intern year I felt a wave of relief and joy, but the loan money keeps popping up in my mind.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!