× General Discussion

Leaving after intern year?

More
7 years 5 months ago #84802 by LoveBug14
We are going to set up a meeting between the director, myself, and the program psychologist (I really like her so I requested she be present) and go from there. My school's dean recommended asking the program to "take a year off" instead and decide during that year. I feel very lucky to have people willing to work through these existential questions with.

I agree, plan B is super important. My dad keeps reminding me of this too :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #84814 by Endlady
Things get exponentially better , the further you get from internship - but if you hate the medical field altogether and don't see yourself doing that at all (and not just concerned about the busy residency years)- then no point being miserable. In that case, I would say either 1. don't even bother with internship or , conversely, 2. get the whole enchilada, but do another residency where you won't have to deal with direct patient care, hospitals etc- like medical genetics, public health etc.
A year of family practice doesn't really give too many options IMO. My personal bias would be to either do the whole thing or not do it at all.

More
7 years 5 months ago #84815 by Docmomof4
It definitely does get easier. Someone above mentioned loan repament jobs after residency-be careful with those b;/c a lot of them don't let you work part time. I had one and it was a full time ocntract. After I had my first child I tried to reduce hours and could not do it without severe prepayment penalties. So, be careful.

I think all of this depends upon the debt you have. I would echo your own thoughts-stick it out for intern year at least so you can get licensed, esp if you need to work to pay off loans. Don't forget, fam med is a three year residency only. Once you have done the first year you are almost there-4 years of med school and one year of residency down.

Another thought would be a more friendly residency like preventive med....

More
7 years 5 months ago #84933 by LoveBug14
So...

I was informed that I would be required to get a wavier for the NRMP in order to be able to get out of the match. Ugh, I thought it would be easier than that. I'm researching it right now. They only grant waivers for "extreme and serious hardship".

:( I might have to go forward with it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #84935 by sahmd
Right. The match is legally binding.

Internship is not the end of the world. You can do it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #85099 by LoveBug14
UPDATE!!

I am going to be taking the year off! I was shocked how willing the program was to work with me. I am "deferring" my start date until July 2013, however, if (before interview season starts) I decide I don't want to start next year I can just let the program know.

I am so relived. Thank you thank you for all the support/helpful advice!

Now I at least have a few more months to decide if I want to be a doctor :) So I'm sure more threads/questions to come...

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!