× General Discussion

Leaving after intern year?

More
7 years 6 months ago #84584 by jasb
hang in there. you don't have to make a decision now. I had a very difficult time as I had my babies during intern year. It has gotten so much better. I am just as bonded with my children as the stay at home moms I know, and I am proud of my career. I wish I could be home more, but this is residency. And medicine really is wonderful in the security it offers. Also, I have found that the further along I get in my training, the more I like my job. I am sending you hugs. It is very hard to go to work and leave your baby, but it really does get so much easier. At least it did for me, particularly once I started getting over my post-partum depression.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84593 by residentmom
Not being board certified will really limit your ability to practice, and I think it also affects your liability insurance costs, although I don't know that for sure. If you survive intern year, then it is all downhill from there... and part time work is out there, especially if you are willing to live anywhere. Good luck.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84594 by LoveBug14
Thank you so much for the reply residentmom! The more info I get the better!

As of now, I don't really plan on doing the medicine thing, it's just not what I want :( So, ability to practice might not be an issue.

About things getting better after intern year... I have heard lots of this topic recently! The programs in my city have all changed to limiting to work week of the intern quite a bit, therefore (unfortunately) the upper level residents have had to pick up the slack. A 2nd and 3rd year resident were talking last night about how they think their current years have been harder than intern year was! Ugh, has anyone else heard this? I agree that if it really gets considerably better after internship, then maybe I should stick it out. But I've been hearing the complete opposite.

Hubby's work (and future goals) require semi-large to large cities.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84595 by LoveBug14
Thank you jasb! It is good to hear about other women dealing with these difficult issues. I agree, medicine offers fabulous security. I'm glad to hear that it does get easier...

More
7 years 6 months ago #84634 by doc98
I say go with your heart. If your gut is screaming every minute that you're spending in the hospital instead of at home with your baby, then you shouldn't be there. I don't believe it will get better because you'll blame your profession for every milestone you miss in your baby's life. Do what you love, but definitely keep the options open by starting intern year. It is true that you have to sign a contract or acceptance offer every year of residency so there would not be any legal binding if you leave when a year is up. And if as everyone says, it gets better as time goes by, then you could still decide if you wanted to finish up the residency or not.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84638 by DocShock
LoveBug - Thanks for replying to my thread. I see although our problems are slightly different, the feelings are the same.

Have you looked in to non-clinical careers that you can still use your degree for?

Also, rumor has it there are part-time options for residencies.

I literally know nothing about residency as an MS1. If anyone has any resources on part-time jobs, non-clinical jobs, etc. Please post!
I am battling some of the same feelings as LoveBug (though am in the planning stages of having a child, we were going to start trying this summer) and I think my decision to stay in medical school would be much easier if I had some information on my future options. I'm sure LoveBug could benefit from additional information to ease her mind about what she can do and how she can maximize her time with her little one!

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!