× General Discussion

Surgery?

More
6 years 10 months ago #88541 by rock_see
Oh don't get me wrong from my post above - if I had to go back, I would choose OB again. Just be sure that it really is the only thing you will be happy doing!

That's how I feel about OB. I think I might have been able to like anesthesia almost as much, but deep down I knew I would always miss OB. (Notice I don't say gyn ... I'm in the camp that wishes they were separate specialties sometimes).

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)
Last Edit: by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88543 by SW to MD
rock_see- Hang in there, intern year is coming to a close. Only a few more months!

I'm making a list. And trying to focus on what each specialty brings.

But hey, I still have my anesthesia rotation coming up... so maybe this list will be a wash after that? :)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
6 years 10 months ago #88550 by niash
SWtoMD,
I just want to say most of us did love surgery and OB. But it is a differnt thing to live that life style. If you expect your spouse to be there for everyone at home with the meager salary they pay you as a resident, esp with you not being around at all, he may not like the idea. Make sure to tell him exactly what it will be like.

Anyhow, you are much younger than me and thus, may not see things the same way.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88551 by OnExtendedLeave
Hi, I tried to keep an open mind through all of my rotations. After doing all the core rotations and some electives, I realized I had the most fun working in the ED because I felt like I actually got to do things tangibly -- see someone, order tests that come back quite soon, do some procedures, and dispo them all in the same day. It was a huge plus that emergency medicine lends itself to part-time work, which was key for me. I'm not sure what I would have done if neurosurgery had seemed best. I think I would have tried to find something similar but with a better lifestyle... Good luck with your decisions!

More
6 years 10 months ago #88574 by lyn2006
Re: the terrible lifestyle of "surgery" - yes, all surgical residents have a pretty bad schedule but if you subspecialize in a surgical field you can actually have pretty nice hours as an attending. Plastics, breast surgeon, some ENT surgeons...Great money, not bad hours. So keep that in mind in case you end up thinking you want to do surgery :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #88640 by SW to MD
We've decided: OB it is.

It's a mix of surgery and continuity, women's health, and potential for involvement in public health. Also, I have the ability to have a serious impact in the tiny village DH is from.

Residency will be hard, but it is a finite period of time. DH is up for it- I was working 70+ hour weeks in a job I hated prior to med school.

Now to see if I can schedule a sub-I in some open time periods in my schedule.

I feel so calm- it just *feels* right. :D

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!