× General Discussion

Would you do it again knowing what you do now?

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87570 by nightowl
trying to be a little more balanced. I do think that happiness in medicine is very dependent on specialty choice and a person's compatability in a given specialty. It is hard to find that. I have noticed the psychiatry moms on this forum seem very happy. The surgeons seem happy too, once they are done with training. Primary care (medicine, family medicine, obgyn and sometimes peds)seem to be more burned out. though I would say some peds people seem very happy with it. just my two cents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87571 by tr_
I am extremely happy with where I am now and would absolutely do it again. I love what I do.

That said, I went to med school on a full ride +stipend (so no debt other than a pinch from undergrad and our mortgage), I do have a spouse with a good income AND a flexible job, and I chose a very family-friendly residency program in a very family-friendly specialty, and I'm currently in a highly time-flexible research fellowship in a field I really enjoy. If any of those factors were different my answer might be much different as well.

I don't think I would have gone to med school if I had had to pay for it tbh.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87573 by asunshine
Heck yeah!

But, like tr_, I have a supportive husband with a flexible job, healthy kids, lots of helpful extended family, and a "lifestyle" specialty.

Emily2651 wrote: But I agree that no premed in the history of time was ever swayed by this sentiment.

I was! I heard all the "no ways", freaked out, and fled to nursing first. Which was stupid of me in retrospect.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87576 by Emily2651
I think there should be a way to score this.

Like:

- Husband:
Supportive with flexible job: +10 points
Present, somewhat supportive, travels for work: 0 points
Non-existent or actively undermining: -10 points

- Specialty choice:
Part-time dermatology: +10 points
Primary care, no call: 0 points
Neurosurgery: -10 points

- Educational debt:
None: +10 points
Manageable with IBR: 0 points
Crippling and/or private loans: -10 points

Etc.

Then we should be able to sum across the variables and predict happiness in medicine!

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen
Last Edit: by .

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87577 by clee03m
The problem for me was that I had no idea how much I would want to be around my kids before I had them. I wasn't even sure I wanted kids. Before kids, I would say my satisfaction with work was 10/10. Absolutely no complaints there and loved my job. I felt my 55+ hours/week and call were no burden at all. Loan payments were not a big deal at all because I felt I had unlimited disposable income for how I wanted to live.

Now that I have kids, loan payments do feel like a big burden. I really wish my husband had a high paying job. I want to be very very part time and have a zillion kids.

But how was I suppose to know this at age 18?

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87578 by AmmaMD
The discussion of the factors that sway one one way or the other is interesting. Emily, I like your system =). I'm another example of someone in psychiatry who says "yes! I would do med school again! (I think...)". The thing I'm far less sure about, actually, is the PhD part. Which sort of shows you the "grass is greener" part of it all - while I got a free ride + stipend in med school, the cost is that now I'm on a resident's salary (with a husband who is NOT earning a lot despite working a lot, which is important context) with two young kids, which is frustrating. And I missed more of my first kid's young life than I would have liked to - it would have been better to be able to cut to part time sooner. So I fantasize sometimes about a do-over where I do straight MD and thus am 4-5 years further along in my career before having kids. But that may partly just illustrate that, not dealing with the debt issue myself, I downplay its impact, while focusing on my own frustration....

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!