× General Discussion

Would you do it again knowing what you do now?

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #87516 by premed99
thanks, megboo. what do you mean about studying differently?
also, Annie, forgot to ask: how do you think you've changed as a person, for worse and better?
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #87525 by megboo
I would definitely have studied differently for Step 1. My method for Step 2 worked so much better and I wish I had done it for step 1.

Also, I probably would have read more and made abbreviated study guides, gone to more TA sessions, you know all the hindsight things.

I hit my groove in 3rd year.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #87551 by clee03m
Yes.

But I would've started having kids earlier (probably still post residency) and lived way more frugally. And as much as I love love love my house I wouldn't have bought it. And may be even have discouraged my husband from so much educational debt? But what is the point of this exercise. Milk has already spilt and dried up.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #87558 by LoveBug14
I want to give an honest answer. For what it's worth, I wish I would have asked more people this before I applied.

No. I would not do this again. Hands down no.

I know a million and a half things factor into this question. But debt, dislike of much of what the medical profession seems to be from my perspective, and GREAT desire to be home with my little one all point me in the direction of --> medical school was not a good choice for me.

Is it a good choice for many people? Yes. Is it a bad choice for many people? Yes. Would I have listened if someone told me that when I was applying? Probably not.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #87560 by Emily2651
I really don't know the answer. In the past, I've said NO. Emphatically. But I'm so damned happy right now -- as a research fellow, to be fair -- that it's hard to truly regret any decision that brought me to this place.

I do think that the cost to get here -- opportunity cost, cost to my health and to my relationship with my sons -- was too high. And I think I would be equally happy in another field. The specific rewards of medicine are not what I anticipated.

But I agree that no premed in the history of time was ever swayed by this sentiment.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #87569 by nightowl
another doctor here who empatically says NO WAY.

I would be a CRNA or PA in a subspecialty (eg derm) if I had a do-over. Or I would have chosen a non medical field entirely. I think I would have been very happy as a college professor of biology. I had one of my favorite college professors try to talk me out of med school when I asked him for a rec. Did I listen to his advice? No.

The travesty of the system is that by the time you figure out medicine is not for you, you are thirty, possibly have a family, and are six figures deep in debt.

Sorry to be discouraging =(

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!