× General Discussion

Psychiatry and Pathology Lifestyle?

More
6 years 11 months ago #88623 by Caroline82
I am currently finishing up my 3rd year of medical school and am trying decide on a specialty. I initially was very interested in pathology as it was the field I had done research on in college and medical school but now I just finished my psych rotation and really loved it for different reasons.

Lifestyle is an important factor for me as I have two young children and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the lifestyles of either psych or path especially in residency?

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #88663 by Definy
I have no more words but i am so impressed with your passion for this pathology lifestyle. Its really a good field for you. Just keep it up and do it. I hope that you will be succeeded in this field.

More
6 years 11 months ago #88669 by AmmaMD
I'm sort of exhausted with writing about psych lifestyle issues at the moment, but there are definitely threads that address this here - I have written about it before, I promise!

More
6 years 11 months ago #88706 by NWwnmom
The psych lifestyle can be excellent but I would say psych can also be emotionally exhausting. Residency wasn't really that bad. You still have to do nights,weekends, etc but the heavy psych call tends to be loaded to the first 2 years. You also do medicine months, neuro etc and work hard on off service months as an intern.

One REALLY awesome thing about psych is there are so many different career paths you can take. Oh, and IMO you will always be able to find a job as there are too few of us. That being said, psych and path are so dissimilar. You should take some time to explore your priorities/interests so you can make the best possible choice. I wouldn't jump the path ship after just one psych rotation. Once you have a bit more psych experience you will be able to make a better decision.

Good luck!

More
6 years 11 months ago #88713 by annie501
I just want to second everything NWwnmom said (although I think that the frontloaded call may have changed with the new hours restrictions). Psych residency is easier than surgery residency by a mile (or twenty), but it is still residency, requiring in house call, late nights at times, weekends, trouble getting out post-call, and all the rest of it.

However, lots of career paths, VERY easy to find a job (especially a PT job if that's what you want), etc. I am employed with a hospital, and I do consults for them and have an outpatient clinic as a solo practitioner. All of my patients have my cell in case of emergencies. I am really happy with it.

More
6 years 11 months ago #88756 by ania
I appreciate your life style. Yes This is a quite good field with lots of carrier opportunities. What I would suggest you is to take your time and think about what do you want to do. With such passion and handwork you sure deserve best in carrier.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!