× General Discussion

rank list help - commuting in residency?

More
6 years 7 months ago #88799 by newmommdphd
Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88802 by Popcorn
If it came down to a 2 hour commute or not matching, I'd take the commute and figure out something to manage it.

However, hopefully it will not be an issue. Rank everywhere you'd even consider going!

More
6 years 7 months ago #88823 by Doc201X

Popcorn wrote: If it came down to a 2 hour commute or not matching, I'd take the commute and figure out something to manage it.

However, hopefully it will not be an issue. Rank everywhere you'd even consider going!

One of the cafeteria workers where I teach commutes FOUR hours ONE WAY BY BUS to get to work.

I agree with you Popcorn.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
6 years 7 months ago #88839 by Baby Einstein

Popcorn wrote: If it came down to a 2 hour commute or not matching, I'd take the commute and figure out something to manage it.

Agreed! Rank everywhere you'd consider going, but not if you would consider going there AND still living 2 hours away. Just not feasible unless it is a very cush program. But I agree, I'm sure you'd find a way to make it work if you did match there. Get a crash pad and sleep there every other night (or any other combination), going home the other days. Move to be halfway between your locations. Have your husband transfer. One way or another it will work out.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88840 by Baby Einstein

Path201x wrote:

Popcorn wrote: One of the cafeteria workers where I teach commutes FOUR hours ONE WAY BY BUS to get to work.

Wow... Thanks for reminding us of what some people have to do to make ends meet.

Getting back to residency though, I only (barely) have 10 hours off between shifts, and a lot of sleep debt to begin with. If my commute took more than 1 hour each way, every day, I don't think I could physically do it as a resident. I don't think I could stay sane/awake at the wheel/alive. In a different job, sure. But constantly switching from days to nights, to 28 hour shifts, with stressful situations (medically or socially) all day long, it just drains you. Beyond quality of life/time lost driving (which we discussed recently in another thread), I would really be concerned about safety. Best of luck with your decisions OP! I guess it's too late now anyway, right? Past deadline for rank list? Good luck with the match!

More
6 years 7 months ago #88843 by newmommdphd
Yes, you're right, Baby Einstein. The deadline was this past Wed. Thank you all again for the input and discussion.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!