× General Discussion

Your residency schedule?

More
6 years 10 months ago #88893 by thinkinghard
Hi all,

I am a premed right now, but for planning purposes, I am wondering what your schedules were in detail during your residencies. I don't know what specialty I will wind up in, although I am very interested in peds and primary care right now.

I'm hoping to hear not just how many hours you worked or are working, but what your weekly schedule is actually like (as in, worked doing X type of thing from this time to this time, off for this amount of time, back at work at this time, etc). I would also be really interested to hear what you do in your time off (slept, played with kids, studied, whatever) and how much time you spend commuting. Basically, I am hoping some of you will share a "week in the life of a resident" sort of thing to help me know what to expect.

Thank you in advance!

My ramblings: <a href=" sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ </a>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88894 by lyn2006
I feel like this might have been posted here awhile ago... I don't search the forum very often, but it may turn up a thread where lots of people posted their schedules.

I think that the life of a resident varies quite a bit and things may be different by the time you are a resident in 4+ years.

I am an anesthesia resident so my schedule will be quite different from peds or primary care but the general overview is something like this:

0430 (or 5 if no conference): wake up
0530 (or 6): drive to work
6 (or 0630): set up my OR, go to conference, see my patient in same day, etc
0720: bring back the first patient, work all day with a morning and lunch break (and afternoon if it's late enough)
1430-1800: sometime in here (usually) finish up my cases, do some reading/studying at work if it's early, then go home and take over dinner/playing with the kids from our nanny
1700-2000: dinner, playing, reading, baths, getting kids to bed
2000-2100: reading/studying, hanging out with husband
2100: bedtime since I'm usually falling asleep studying

Repeat every weekday, plus some weekend call.

I love what I do and think my schedule is pretty great though it might not look like it there :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #88895 by thinkinghard
Thanks for taking the time to post that! That does look like a good schedule that allows you to have at least some life outside the hospital.

My ramblings: <a href=" sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ </a>

More
6 years 10 months ago #88897 by Allerian
I'm in peds, and think my schedule might be harder than most.
As an intern- 8 months of this:
5:00am wake up, out the door by 5:45 am
6:30 am signout
7-8 AM conference
8-6p working rounds
6-7 (sometimes earlier) signout.
7/7:30-8 dinner
8:30 kid goes to bed
8:30-10p time with hubby

2nd year- all none core rotations have a easier schedule
6:00 wake up
7:00 leave for work
8:00-4:00pm clinical duties
5-10p time with hubby and kiddo and then bed.

And then I have call or nights shifts.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88898 by thinkinghard
Thanks for sharing, Allerian. How often do you have call and night shifts? Do you do the schedule you posted five days per week or more?

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #88902 by annie501
I did one month of peds during my psych residency. There have been work hours changes, but this was pretty much the standard for wards when I was a resident (this was also the standard on internal medicine and neurology).

Call was Q4, so a weekly schedule might look like this:
Monday: get to work at 6am, work through the night...maybe sleep 1-2 hours.
Tuesday: Done with work by noon (end of 30 hours on). lecture until 1pm, sign out to team on call. Go home and sleep until 6 or 7, wake up for a few hours, back to bed at 10pm.
Wednesday: Get to work at 6am, leave by 5pm.
Thursday: Get to work at 6am, leave by 3pm.
Friday: On call again, work all night until noon on Saturday

Sunday: Off

If you had a saturday call, then you had no days off that week. If you had a Thursday call, then you had the whole weekend off. If you had Sunday call, then you had Saturday off.

I know that there have been some work hours changes, so I don't think that interns have this schedule anymore. Instead, they have more days that they are there until 10pm, and probably no days that they leave at 3pm, but they aren't there overnight.

Also, keep in mind that the rules might change again before you enter residency.
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!