× General Discussion

Your residency schedule?

More
6 years 10 months ago #88907 by Allerian
We do not have overnight call while on those rotations. So we have four days off a month. The only exception is our NICU rotation where seniors work a 28 hr call on sunday nights. So you do 2 of those during that time period. The only time I do overnights are our scheduled night shifts or night floats.

And the above schedule, we can do it for up to 2 weeks in a row if you work both days on the weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88908 by clee03m
My residency schedule was:
5:45-6:00 start setting up for OR
6:00-9:00 get off

My program was a bit on the malignant side.

One 24 hour weekday call and off the next day. One weekend call a month.

I had no kids, so I am not sure how I would have handled kids.

More
6 years 10 months ago #88910 by thinkinghard
Thanks everyone for sharing! It's really helpful to me. I know it could all change by the time I get there, but it's helpful to me to know what to prepare myself and my family for.

My ramblings: <a href=" sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ </a>

More
6 years 10 months ago #88934 by rock_see
I am an OB/Gyn intern and my schedule varies tremendously depending on what service I am on. It also changes pretty significantly based on level of training. But here are some representative days for now -

Easy clinic service: Monday-Friday, plus 3 or 4 12 hour L&D shifts on the weekend.
5:30a - wake up
6:30a - get to work, round on c-section patients
7:00a - conference/grand rounds/other teaching activities
8:00a - clinic
4-5p - drive home
5-6p - arrive home (I have a 40+ min commute in peak rush hour traffic - pretty sucky!)
6-8:30p - hang out with kids, eat dinner (either husband or nanny cooks), try to study half-heartedly
8:30-9:30p - kids to bed, my screw around on the Internet time
9:30p - sleeping!

Bad rotation (ie if my life was always like this I would find another career): 6 days per week
3:45a - Wake up
4:30a - Arrive at work. Prep for walking rounds with fellows
5:30a - Round with fellows/team
6:30a - Attending Rounds
7:00a - Conferences
8:00a - get daily tasks done, manage post-op floor patients, admit new patients
4:30p - attending sign-out
5:00p - sign out to covering night float person and then tie up loose ends
6:00p - leave
6:30p - arrive home
6:30-8:30p - as above, expect at this point I am usually in bed before the kids.

And then there is night float which is 5 weeks straight of working 6pm to 8am 5 days per week. I pretty much just see my kids in passing as I walk out the door each evening. I have all those weekends off though which kind of makes up for it.

That's just a random representation. They are occasional very nice days where I have an unexpected afternoon off and some pretty awful days where you get stuck in the hospital hours after your should have left. It all evens out really. Things will be quite different next year as an R2 since we take 24 hour call.

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)
Last Edit: by .

More
6 years 10 months ago #88935 by thinkinghard
Thanks for sharing Rock_see. I have heard that OB residencies are especially grueling and difficult to get through. Have you found that to be the case?

My ramblings: <a href=" sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ </a>

More
6 years 10 months ago #88937 by rock_see
It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it hasn't been as tough as I expected having heard all the horror stories and listening to the majority of people tell me that it is a terrible choice for a mother. I was careful in selecting where I ended up, though. Not all OB programs are created equal.

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!