× General Discussion

Flu Vaccine and Pregnancy during Medical School?

More
6 years 8 months ago #89581 by Caroline82
I just found out I am pregnant and will be due in late December. I will be finishing my internal medicine sub-i rotation in early December. I am unsure if I should get the flu shot as soon as it becomes available in the fall? I have always had very strong reactions to vaccines and therefore have never had the flu shot before. I had a very bad reaction to a vaccine (I think MMR) when I was young and ended up with 105 fever and a seizure..and also never got my third HepB vaccine because I had a very high fever after the 2nd dose (although when checked my hepB antibody titers were very high). Anyways, I'm just worried because my grandmother died of complications of the flu in late pregnancy so I know how at risk pregnant women are and I'll also be working in the hospital during that time. I had the flu this year which was pretty bad :(...athough maybe this confers some immunity for next year? Should I risk getting the flu shot or do I have other options like wearing a good mask? Sorry this post is so long..any advise would be much appreciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #89582 by southernmd
We can't give you medical advice on the board, but I do encourage you to discuss this with your ob/gyn. I'm sure they would love to talk to you about this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!