× General Discussion

Pre-Med and No Support!

More
10 years 5 months ago #8674 by HAM
To be brutally honest, I doubt a neurosurgery residency would even accept a woman with 2 kids. Seriously doubt it. Though that seems "unfair" and there will be a huge outcry by the particularly naive on this board, programs like neurosurgery are seeking candidates with willingness to devote their entire lives (and by entire, I mean complete, every waking hour, no baggage) devoted to the subject.

This, however, is putting the cart miles before the horse. One must be accepted and do well in medical school before such rejection is even possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #8675 by tmom
I guess in terms of dealing with the discouragement and negativity from others, you can just thank them for looking out for your best interests and tell them that you are going to try it your way, and if it turns out to be too hard, then it is too hard, but you will never know unless you try, and do they really want you to regret your decision not to go to med school for the rest of your life? (meaning if you go by their advice as oppose to what you want, you'll always second guess yourself...if you make the decision on your own not to do med school its different than if you decide based on their advice so u should mention that to them.) There's a guy in my med school who is i 50 I think (He was late 40s when he started) and he has a daughter who is a physician...You can tell them, that you don't want to wait 20 years and then regret your decision and go back, it just makes the most sense to try it now...if you hate it or can't handle it you can switch careers.
Good luck with everything, its really nice that you have such a positive attitude on what you can achieve (I hope your optimism doesn't get changed by being in med school/residency).

More
10 years 5 months ago #8676 by Cabinbuilder
Like the OP, I was a non-tradiational med student who started medical school with a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old starting kindergarten. I was the only mom in the lecture pathway of 180 students. I saw my kids about 4 hours a day and that really hasn't changed in the past 8 years. I wanted to be a general surgeon and in reality DID NOT MATCH into surgery so I had to scramble into something. Surgery residency did not ever come my way (all surgery is super competative) and I found that in medical school I struggled to be a mom and get grades above the B mark. Board scores? Forget it, it was just impossible to study as much as the single, childless folks. I had to be satisfied with what I was physically able to do. I ended up in Family Practice since that is what I was able to get into in the end. Not to say that neurosurgery isn't possible, but as a pre-med student at this point, that goal is extremely unrealistic. You have to take the journey in baby steps: BS, then MCAT, apply to med school and get in anywhere, expect to have to move, pass everything in medical school without having a mental breakdown, pass the boards (step I and step II) the first time and try to get a high score, then think about your residency path, apply to residency, hope you get an interview at the program of your choice, rotate at those programs as a fourth year, hopefully match, etc. etc. etc. The bottom line is that the whole process is so out of your hands. You don't really have a choice of medical school or residency. They pick you, so to have this notion as a pre-med that neurosurgery is your profession of choice without ever having been on rotations, etc. is incredibly naive and reckless IMHO. I agree with the others not to mention it in interviews, it's best to say that you are undecided and will make that decision after an adequate number of rotations are completed. Not you say you can't get there, but it's similar to saying you are going to be a pro basketball player, only the super elite of med school get there. Good luck, enjoy your kids.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
10 years 5 months ago #8677 by HAM

Originally posted by tmom:
if it turns out to be too hard, then it is too hard, but you will never know unless you try,

That's one costly experiment. The expense is approximately that of a brand new car each year of school. You can do the math.

More
10 years 5 months ago #8678 by Drme2b
People will have something to say about what you do no matter what, but that's what makes the world go 'round. In the end, the choice is yours :)

Good luck with whatever you decide Sylven!

More
10 years 5 months ago #8679 by tmom
good point HAM, it is pretty costly

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!