× General Discussion

Thinking about Part Time

More
6 years 4 months ago #90597 by kam6901
I've just started my first attending job as a neurologist in an academic medical center, and am feeling like 60 hours a week and 2 hrs/day commuting is going to be increasingly tough as we start a family (which we hope to do in the next year). I love the idea of working part time, ~30 hours, but don't know much about how to pursue that, and I don't think my current employer would be amenable to me working part-time.

Does anyone have any experience with looking for or bargaining for part-time positions they can share? Do those jobs exist?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #90605 by espm
I am a hospitalist and have worked a job share in the past. I was able to do this because two physicians before me did this in my group and it worked well. They knew each other from residency and presented themselves to employers as a duo. It's probably easier to do a job share as a hospitalist than as a neurologist because hospitalist work is shift work. I think it helps if you can find the other half of your job share (another physician who is interested in working part-time) to make things easier for your employer. You may have an easier time doing part-time/job share in private practice rather than academics. I personally don't know any academic physicians who work part-time. Good luck!

More
6 years 4 months ago #90633 by Fizzy
I agree it's easier to be part time in private practice. If you're a female with young kids, my experience is that hiring practices are not terribly surprised if you ask to be part time.

Please visit my website <a href=" doccartoon.blogspot.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">A Cartoon Guide to Becoming a Doctor</a>

More
6 years 3 months ago #90702 by juniper81
I'm in a similar position to you--currently working in academic medicine, thinking about moving to part-time practice in the community. I don't have any answers for you, but wanted you to know you're not alone. I'm interested to see the responses you get, also.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!