× General Discussion

sleep! what do you do?

More
12 years 6 months ago #8949 by Emily2651
Years ago, I had a wonderful boss who, by an odd turn of circumstance, literally had her workload double over night. A couple weeks later, I asked her how she was holding up. She just smiled and said everything was working out fine, because she had a "strategy". So of course, I had to know about this wonderful strategy. "When I get tired," she said, "I stop." At the time, I just laughed, but later I realized a) she wasn't joking and b) what she said was really wise. I'm a MS3 on surgery right now, and her "strategy" has become my mantra! Now if I could only adopt her gracious attitude as well ...

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8950 by JN819
You need to get sleep, for some people its more important than others. If I dont get enough sleep, there is no point of me even getting up bc i wont function.
I am in MS1 and I plan my study schedule around my sleeping schedule. It also helps if you learn to meditate, I have been taking yoga for years, and to be honest if I am studying and i feel that i need a break or a nap or something.....I just meditate for 10 minutes and I feel like I had 5 hours of sleep.Its very hard to do, but once u clear ur mind completely...its equivalent to sleeping a full night.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8951 by eeh2004
A "power nap" can be an amazing thing for some people. Just 10-15 minutes a day can sometimes recharge you for hours. I used this tactic when in med school...sometimes it worked better than others. I perfected it in residency when sometimes those minutes were ALL that I had.

I'll reinforce the point that you can hit the wall with long-term deprivation. Chronic sleep deprivation can have a profound negative effect on your immune system as well as your mental and academic health.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8952 by DrWuStar*
Say "screw it" and sleep type here! I don't do well with less than 6 hours. Even 6 is rough. I cry easily and little things ruin my whole day when I am too tired. I don't learn well either. You have to get the sleep you need. If you can't fit it in, you just have to let something go. My house is messy when I am working 80 hours. My grades aren't as good as they could be if I studied more. But what can you do? I'm not interested in being miserable.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!