× General Discussion

multiple board certifications=multiple residencies?

More
13 years 5 months ago #9084 by jinx520
I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little, but since I grew up in a poor family on a poor island with no medical school in sight, I never knew that it could be done. Well, after I got out of the Army and moved back home my family doctor was a LOCAL BOY and that was when I seriously started to consider a career in medicine. Anyway, he was board certified in OB/GYN, peds and FP.

My question to anyone who would know is: if I wanted to do the same thing, would I have to do three residencies or do they let you just take another board exam if you complete one residency--and if you pass then you are certified in multiple specialties? I think what he did was so cool (and so needed here in rural NM), but I don't want to spend 10 years in residency.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #9085 by SurgChick
There are many combined residency programs that allow you to get trained in more than one specialty in less time than it would take to do 2 complete residencies. I don't think you're eligible to sit for a board exam w/o residency training in that specialty, however.

Examples of combined programs:
FP/psych
IM/EM
IM/Peds

Ask your doc what training he has... I imagine he did more than one residency in order to get so many certifications. He will be a great source of info!

PGY-3, General Surgery

More
13 years 5 months ago #9086 by AnnaM
Your best bet if you want to do something like that would be to do an FP residency that is strong in peds and OB, then take extra training during the residency or in a 1-year fellowship immediately following residency, in doing c-sections. Keep in mind that most large and medium and even some smaller hospitals will not let you do your own c-sections, but lots of smaller hospitals will welcome you.

More
13 years 5 months ago #9087 by maverick
Jinx520: most of the time if you want to board in more than one specialty you've got to complete training in both (or all!I know this from painful experience, having boarded x4.) There are some ways to shorten that period: for example, board eligibility in OBGYN requires 36 months in OBGYN, of a 4-year residency, so in some cases you might be directly admitted to the second year of residency after an intern year in internal medicine or family practice. That could cut a year off the 3+4 track so you'd be done in 6 instead of 7 years. If you are interested in FP and OB, though, you can do an FP residency which lasts 3 years plus an OB fellowship that lasts one year. That would qualify you to do operative vaginal deliveries, tubal sterilizations, cesareans, etc., and give you a good deal of practical experience.(You wouldn't be doing hysterectomies or operative gynecology, though.) University of New Mexico has an OB fellowship for family medicine docs--if you're interested, call or email Larry Leeman there, he's the director. States like NM are creative in solving shortages.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!