× General Discussion

fam med, peds or ER? hours, income, etc

More
11 years 1 month ago #9203 by Skye's Mom
I'm still a 3rd year med student and have been getting alot of negative feedback regarding the residencies I'm considering. Right now I'm ranking them as 1.Peds 2.Family Med 3.Emergency. But Drs keep telling me that Peds and FM will make me miserable in the long run b/c the hours are long, you have little time with each patient, and income is low.
I'm not trying to be rich and it's not all about money, but I'd like to be able to pay off my insane loan amounts (private DO med school) and still live comfortably. And the reason I don't want to work crazy hours (besides being able to spend time w/the family) is b/c I plan on volunteering alot and if I'm working my butt off to make ends meet I won't be able to do that.

Can people who are currently working in the Peds or FM field write about their experiences? Tell me
1.)If you're doing Peds or FM
2.)If you have your own practice, work in a group practice or work in a hospital
2.)What your hours are like
3.)Avg time you get with each patient
4.)Income

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #9204 by residentmom
1.)If you're doing Peds or FM: I am 2 years out of FM residency
2.)If you have your own practice, work in a group practice or work in a hospital: I am employed by a hospital system, in a solo office but with over 70 physicians in my multi-specialty group.
2.)What your hours are like: I do 32 patient contact hours and 40 total hours a week.
3.)Avg time you get with each patient: 15-30 minutes, depending on the patient. I control my schedule.
4.)Income: Very comfortable base salary with bonuses for production and quality performance- I enjoy the "no-risk" aspect of being employed. I don't necessarily make as much as I could in PP, but I get a paycheck every 2 weeks rain or shine, or vacation/ maternity leave. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
11 years 1 month ago #9205 by Skye's Mom
Thank you, RESIDENTMOM!
One more question...are jobs like yours hard to find or very competitive? B/c it sounds amazing to have that much time with each patient, but I don't want to assume I'll be able to find a job like that if they're not very common.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #9206 by residentmom
I think 15 mins per appt is pretty standard in FP. A lot of IM folks will do 20.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #9207 by LauraMD
I am in a very similar situation to ResMom..

I am also 2 years out of FM residency. I am also employed by a hospital, and see patients q15-q30 min. I average 20-22 pts per 8 hr day. I also have a base salary, and bonus for overtime. My work week is 40 hours. (Though mine is a bit complicated because I have hospice, palliative care, and urgent care hours in the mix, too. But that is just me and my goofy schedule.) Still, my total hrs are 40 per wk, and if I go over that, they pay me (woohoo!) :)

I also struggled with the three residencies you mention, along with OB.. but FM was the only one with the flexibility I needed, so in the end, the choice was easy. My classmates who chose ER may be making a bit more money, but their schedules suck and they are already pretty burned out from their residencies. Peds pays similar, but does not have the flexibility. (For example, I can go to rural areas close to my home and moonlight in their ER's--thus satisfying my need for EM. And when I do this.... I get paid!! (Ref: 'woohoo' in previous paragraph.) ;)

Sorry.. after 3 yrs of residency anything you get paid for is a good thing. LOL!!

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #9208 by kpzr/9145
Hey, I would like to put in a good word for Pediatrics here. I've been practicing Pediatrics for over ten years now and have yet to get burned out. Really enjoy it for the most part. The kids and families are fun to work with. I see about 20-25 patients per day. I have only ever worked part time though. Do not make a fortune but pretty comparable to Internal Medicine or Family Practice incomes in my area. It seems to me that the Internists are really not enjoying their work as much as I do. Not so sure about FP as we have mostly Internists in our area. Anyway Pediatrics is really a great career, and does not have to be any busier than Internal Medicine. And, probably a lot more fun!

kpzr

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!