× General Discussion

Match Week!!

More
5 years 6 months ago #92549 by mohm
Congrats to all who matched and good luck to those who are participating in SOAP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92550 by sahmd
I'm sorry, greenolive. It seems that the geographically-limited husband is a recurring theme with those who do not match. I don't know anything about the SOAP process, but I guess I would try to apply to as many programs as possible in your area, in any specialty. I suspect it is a numbers game at this point: the more programs you apply for, the higher your chances of getting a position. I hope you are able to find something you like. Good luck!

More
5 years 6 months ago #92551 by greenolive
Thanks sahmd. Actually the one program I applied to through SOAP is the only program with any openings in the state. I'm one of those who truly was probably better suited for a career other than medicine but realized it a little too late. I guess I'll have to play it by ear based on this one app I put in.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92552 by sahmd
Wow, it must be very competitive where you are. I hope it all works out for the best.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92589 by OHM77
I matched. Yeaaaahhh!!!!!

I am going into Pediatrics and will be starting a residency in Southern California. I didn't match at my number, but matched at my number 2. I had a hard time ranking my residencies and would have been happy to go either of my top 5. So I left Match day elated that I finally knew where would moving. I like to plan ahead so not knowing where I was going was just a nerve racking as wondering if I matched. My number program had a great feel, but I wasn't sure if my kids would have a easy time adjusting from a hot desert climate to a cold one. My second choice was better choice for the kids and would have been my number one if it wasn't a primary care track (I applied to the program as an after thought and for some reason wasn't seriously considering it as a strong contender). The program was also new, which had me a little uneasy. But I remember telling God either place would be fine with me, just put me where I supposed to be. After the official match the program director called me, so that made me feel even better. That may happen with all program directors, but that was all the reassurance that I needed.

@Greenolive: I hope everything worked out. Juggling family is hard. Things like that make me being single not completely suck. Your mate's feelings and concerns are important, especially since he will be a major support with the kids. One of my classmates super smart and prior to having children had wanted to go off to competitive residency, but since her fiancee didn't want to leave his daughter, she had to only apply to the one residency program in our state.

Realizing the dream I deferred.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92590 by sahmd
Congrats, OHM77!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!