× General Discussion

Introduction and question about organic chem

More
10 years 11 months ago #9403 by DrBanana
I posted this on the Pre-Med board, but I think I might get a response if a wider audience reads it...
I am a nontraditional student (28) hoping for fall '10 entry into med school. I took most of my prereq's in college (6 years ago) but never took second semester organic. I did moderately badly (C+) in first semester and lost confidence in myself. After earning a master's degree in teaching with a 4.0 gpa and teaching for a while, I realized that I'm still passionate about medicine and I nearly missed my calling. I hope to remedy the situation and finally make it to med school.

Anyway, my question is this - if I want to take the MCAT in the spring and apply this summer, I need to take 2nd semester organic. Of the following options, what would be the best considering that I have a full-time job and a husband and need to pay the bills:

1) Jump right into 2nd semester orgo at the state university, relying on my more mature study habits to make up for the time that has lapsed since I last took orgo. This is an evening course with evening lab about 30 minutes drive from my home. I'm a little concerned that it's been so long since I took chemistry.
2) Retake semester 1 at the local community college in a web-based format that has a handful of in-person required labs and tests and then take 2nd semester in the same format this summer. I worry that it will look bad to take the hardest prereq at a cc, but this is a very economical and efficient solution.
3) Retake semester 1 in the fall at the private college where I currently work and where I completed my undergrad degree. This would put me in a fall '11 start date, but maybe that's better anyway. This option is free as long as my employer allows me to take the class (which might be questionable since it would take me out of work for 7 hours a week).
4) Something else I haven't thought of.

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #9404 by efex101
I would go with number 3 for sure, you need to prove that things have changed (academic wise) and get awesome grades, and by retaking orgo 1 this will demonstrate this....then of course take orgo 2 and ace it as well. You are very young and starting in 2010 versus 2011 will not make a huge difference :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #9405 by DrBanana
Thank you for telling me I'm young! I don't hear that very often when I tell people I want to go to med school!

More
10 years 11 months ago #9406 by efex101
Yeah, I started medical school at 38, residency at 42, so you are for sure young and have plenty of time to get things organized, learn and start medical school. Good luck!

More
10 years 10 months ago #9407 by nightnurse
I agree with efex,option 3 is your best bet. You have plenty of time on your hands one year will not make a big difference.

Many will say it's not possible, but few would admit to your success. Follow your heart because it ever lies.

More
10 years 10 months ago #9408 by Bettina Burnette
Definitely, #3. A firm foundation can make future learning much less nerve racking. I have to go back and retake inorg chem I,II and then ORG I,II and Physics I,II for the first time ,and also retake bio I,II., and possibly calculus.I am forty-seven and have seven kids with six still at home,...talk about defying age! It's like a burning call I have in me that makes no practical sense.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!