× General Discussion

Can DOs practice outside the US?

More
14 years 4 months ago #10358 by Setzer
I have been thinking about the DO option. The more I learn about DOs the more interested I become. I like their incorporation of "alternatives" and the whole body outlook. But I am very inerested in practicing medicine outside the U.S. I would like to get involved in Docs w/o Boarders and other such programs. I was told that DOs cannot currently practice outside the U.S. Does anyone else know about this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10359 by roadrunner
Since I long to be able to volunteeer overseas or anywhere that needs me too....I looked at the MSF (docs w/out borders) website. all the info that you need is there. :)

www.doctorswithoutborders.com

The difference between DO's and MD's is what the MD's make it out to be. They are equally qualified. Hopes this helps

More
14 years 4 months ago #10360 by Cabinbuilder
I looked on the website, it just says you have to be a physician with a valid license to work for doctors without borders. I, too, plan to work with them after my training (DO).

Practicing outside the US is different from providing services to an international orgainization.

It is true that if you are DO in another country, you can only practice OMT. Bear in mind though that if you go to school in another country the training (from what we are told at school) consists mainly of OMT - not medical classes. However, if you train in the US at DO school you will be a licensed physician. I have met quite a few DO's who have volunteered their services in many causes.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10361 by Button
Yes, you can work with all kinds of groups overseas! The AOA fights hard to make sure we are not discriminated against. If you do experience discrimination anywhere, report it to the AOA, so they can provide education, resouirces, problem solving or legal action to the people involved.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10362 by Laramisa
I work in a pharma company overseas and there are US DOs working for the company in the European headquarters as medical advisors. They are treated the same as MDs by the company. But I've heard some of the non-US doctors (they were french) talk about the DOs not being 'real' doctors, so there appears to still be some misunderstanding and lack of respect from some people. (the french can be a bit snooty anyway in general) In the UK I believe osteopaths do not have the same level of training as MDs so maybe this is where part of the misunderstanding comes from.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!