× General Discussion

Taking 2 years off med school: back to back babies

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #95731 by op007
tl:dr: How negatively would this be perceived by FM programs?

More detail, and please discuss!

Born in 1984. Class of 2015 now 2016. super fancy med school, but really a terrible student. I think I'm prob my dean's headache. Got high pass on everything, and one pass in surgery.

Baby 1 in Feb. Return to 4th year in May. Ugh, started wanting to finish most of 4th year requirements, and have back to back baby, and graduate when baby 1 is 2-ish, and baby 2 is 1.

I have been working on a fairly lucrative medically related business during this year off, and possibly continue doing that. Did a small part of a Traditional Chinese medicine masters program the past 9 months off. But let's be honest, I am a hustler, so this business is a side thing. This time is really for babies and husband. Student loans, finances not a problem at all.

Interested in going into FM. Another thing is I decided on FM almost too late, my school does not have a FM department, and I would really have to scramble to get a letter from FM. The earliest I can do an away at a FM department would be Sep.

The considerations have I have are
1. Things don't get easier the further along training you are. At least until it's over, and I just don't want to wait until it's over. I'm already 31 this year.
2. My husband is in a hard charging phase of his career, and if we can stack our busy years a little bit, he would have more time with the kids. He does love the baby
3. All the grandparents are retiring in 1 or 2 years! Unlimited childcare!
4. Once the kids are daycare age, they can do daycare with grandparents after school care.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by op007.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #95740 by efex101
it will not be viewed favorably but others have done it albeit it may take more than one try and you may have to apply very broadly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!