× General Discussion

Turning 39 and completing undergrad

More
3 years 11 months ago #96161 by susieq
Hi Ladies

I'm glad to have found this forum. So I am in a bit of a conundrum. Due to some hiccups in life, I am only just completing my undergraduate degree. I will graduate in May 2016. I turn 39 next week.

Due to my husband's job, I have attended a very small undergrad college and despite being one of their 'top students,' I just don't feel prepared to take the MCAT. No, it's not psychological on my part - it's pretty crappy teaching - per consensus of fellow students.

So I'm in a dilemma. Ideally I would like to take the MCAT in May 2016, and start med school in Fall 2016. Most American schools (all?) won't take such a late MCAT, but I know Caribbean ones do. One of the better Caribbean schools will accept this schedule, but I don't know whether I should go that route or just continue to take my MCAT in 2016, do a post bacc program, and get into a US med school the following year. There's the whole 'turning 40' issue but should I let it bother me? From what I have heard a Caribbean education limits your specialty choices. Would attending a US medical school at my age put e in a better position for a more competitive specialty or would I just be looking at family practice whether or not I attended a Caribbean or a US med school?

Thanks for reading my post and I welcome your replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #96163 by susieq
Wow 10 views and no replies. Enough to give you a complex.

More
3 years 11 months ago #96164 by sahmd
I wouldn't want you to get a complex, so I will reply. :) I really don't know that much about Caribbean schools, except that they are kind of a risky proposition. My impression is that chances of matching in the US are way lower than for American grads. I know you feel a lot of time pressure right now, but try to look more at what will get you to your ultimate goal of becoming a practicing physician. I suspect that going to a US school will give you a better chance of reaching that goal, even if you do reach it one year later than you would like.

Also, I am not sure why someone over 40 would have to go into family practice. The one person over 40 in my medical school class ended up doing an ER residency. I suspect there are many other factors beside age that determine which specialty you'll end up in.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: susieq

More
3 years 11 months ago #96176 by TracyK
Hi susieq

Just to let you know that I'm over 40, and just completed my first semester of med school. Absolutely loving it. There are a quite a few over 30s and the oldest in our class is 47. I'm in Canada though, not the US.

Afraid I also can't comment much on the Caribbean schools. I think that some of the schools have an agreement with US schools for taking a certain number of residents? Not sure how that works though. I have been told that it's often about who you know, or rather, who knows you, that is a factor in being placed back in the US/Canada. Perhaps apply broadly, and include the Caribbean in your applications if that is an option for you.

Best of luck!

Tracy

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't. You're right." - Henry Ford
The following user(s) said Thank You: susieq

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!