× General Discussion

Question regarding compensation??

More
2 years 10 months ago #96674 by OHM77
Hi,

It has been a while since I have been here, but I always know these a good place to come. Instead of venting, this time I have a question. I am not at all familiar with contracts, sign on bonuses etc. I am trying to plan for a possible move to another city. I'm finishing my pediatric residency in June and am now interviewing. I have heard sign on bonuses and relocation expenses mentioned as possible perks. But for me, does anyone know if a sign on bonus is given when you sign the contract or when you start working. A place said they give the option of either a relocation expense or sign on bonus. If I choose this place I'm not sure which is better for my family. As a single mom of three children in California, I literally live paycheck to paycheck. If a sign on bonus means I will have money to help move I'm all for it.

Please help.
Single mother of three beautiful preteen/teenagers, soon to be full fledge doctor, by the grace of God and family signing out.

Realizing the dream I deferred.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #96675 by sahmd
I have never been given either, so I don't know the timing of when they would pay this extra amount. It doesn't seem like there would be much harm in asking, though, especially if they bring up the topic in an interview. You don't need to go into details about your financial situation, just ask in a matter-of-fact way.

If worse comes to worst, you could put your moving expenses on a credit card and then pay the credit card off when you get the bonus or your first paycheck.

Good luck with the job hunt!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OHM77, Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!