× General Discussion

What are YOU sick of?

More
15 years 4 months ago #11032 by drsoon
OKay- I LIKE this thread!
I am sick of:

1- Trying to convince my live-in that he needs to think more than 24 hours ahead in his life. (Example: If HE wants both his grandmothers to be at our wedding AND a family, we're going to have to consider getting married in the next two years, not "Oh..eventually, we know we're going to sometime, so what's the rush")

2- Working full time at an incredibly boring job instead of going to school full time

3- Feeling torn between my dream of becoming a doctor and my guilty fears that I will fail my family by never being there.

4- My family all wistfully saying "But you'd be so GOOD at public health policy! Why not just get your masters in that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #11033 by drdiane2b
people who run out of maintenence meds for chronic conditions on friday night/weekends/holidays when their doctor's offices are closed and tell me that i "have to" give them some to get them through because they take these everyday and "will die" without them... yeah, i guess if they took them everyday, they'd notice they were running out say, three days ago, and had no refills and maybe we could have taken care of it before it was a "life or death" situation??? :yikes: take some freakin' responsibility for your own freakin' health people!!! it's not MY job to make sure you're up to date on all of your pills!!!

More
15 years 3 months ago #11034 by babydoc1995
So true Dr. Diane - I trained in OKC at Children's Hospital - how is everything in the city?

I am sick of.....

1. Patients coming 15 minutes late for appointments with fresh McDonald's take-out or foaming lattes from Dutch Bros they got on their way to the office. Actually, any late patient.

2. Patients mad about you running behind but at their 10 minute ear recheck appointment (which they were late for due to their McDonald's run) want to discuss their child's possible adhd/chronic constipation and by the way, can you work in his sister really quick - she has had a cough for about 2 months?

3. Patient who don't believe they have to pay a copay for rechecks.

4. Patients who want you to treat their warts but after 2-3 visits when they find out it falls to their deductible and want you to write off the charges and will start using the Compound W you suggested in the first place.

5. Parents who bring their children in for sore throats then are sitting their feeding them goldfish crackers and cookies right before you will be looking at/swabbing their throat - not that partially chewed food isn't fun to look at.

6. Pregnant teens and teens with STD's who continue to argue they have never had sex.

7. Parents who decline immunizations because they are not "natural" but 2 months earlier had you cut off part of their son's penis shortly after birth for cosmetic reasons. That's natural enough.

8. Parents who don't vaccinate period.

9. Teenage girls having boyfriend, school, parents troubles and think prozac will fix it.

Many others but that that was refreshing to vent!! Thanks!

More
15 years 3 months ago #11035 by Halcyon440

Working full time at an incredibly boring job instead of going to school full time

AMEN!! I am in the very same predicament and can't see the day when it's over.

That being said, I am sick of not being able to decide on whether or not a medical career is right for me. I've been wrestling with the decision for a decade and continue spending inordinate amounts of time stressing about it to no avail. I'm just so scared that I'd hate the lifestyle.

Other annoying things:
People who tailgate you at 70+ mph
Overly needy relatives
Thin people who say "I'm so fat"

More
15 years 3 months ago #11036 by rydys
My biggest pet peeve for the last few years is patients who refuse to learn English and hold me accountable for finding a translator! If you live in a country, learn the language or make sure you bring someone with you who can translate!

More
15 years 3 months ago #11037 by rydys
Oh and also parents who come into the ER/hospital and throw a tantrum because their child is SOOO sick and you are not treating them instantly--but the minute the fever is down and the kid looks better insist on leaving without results/treatment bec. the kid is fine!

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!