× General Discussion

first job- is this good, bad or ugly?!

More
11 years 11 months ago #12030 by mumble*
Hi
This is the first time I'm writing in here but from what I've read you mommds are great support for each other.

Any one can help me with my dilemma?

I got a job offer in a desert - underserved area 30 miles from the place we plan to move to. It's a new ready to work multispecialty clinic. I am to do Gen Peds from 9 to 5 pm - 5 days a week and check new borns in a nearby hosptial. Currently there is only a NP working there.The employer who is a FP works only on Fridays there and rest of the days elsewhere. He is reassuring me he'll "try his best" to lessen my burden of calls by paying some one else to cover for me at nights. Currently there are no calls expected since there is no pediatrician.

The benefits besides 120 K/yr are - will pay for applying for hospital priveleges, CME, 2 wks vacation, will consider health insurance and 401K after 1 yr depending on our practice.

I have a 2.5 yr and 4.5 yr old and a husband who works full time but I still need to work full time if we have to afford to buy a house.
The fact that this job has no calls for now and it's great drive to and fro with no traffic is attractive to me. The employer seems genuine and sincere on the outside!

Anyone sees any problem with this job other than the uncertainity about calls and no health insurance/401K for now. Is this what most people get offered at first job? I'm in Southern California.

Pls shine some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

m

Your children may not be listening to you but they are watching you very closely

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #12031 by CaliMD
First understand that my response is as a formerly practicing in So Cal FP (have been out of practice, out of CA for over 4 years now). It is pathetic to hear that a physician employee will be without health insurance - maybe that is okay since you could get coverage through your husband but hey, what if you were a single mother? It is unacceptable, in my opinion. I suppose that the salary you are being offered is typical for CA - it's sad that non-MD health care professionals have all received nice raises over the past 15 years or so but I got $50-60/hour in So Cal back in the 1990's doing only outpatient. Please don't trust any "promises" an employer might make - often what seems genuine and honest is far from it. I'm just afraid you'll get stuck doing a bunch of uncompensated work because your employer won't end up paying someone to take the night call. I just wonder for you if there might be some other opportunities you might consider.

More
11 years 11 months ago #12032 by residentmom
I would make sure the call/ hours/ etc are clearly laid out in the contract. Also 2 weeks vacation seems a bit low to me, I thought 4 weeks was more standard. I agree that health insurance is a must. Also consider whether you can qualify for government loan repayment because of where you will be working... that can supplement your bottom line nicely. I guess, just don't trust what people say, get it in writing. Good luck!

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
11 years 11 months ago #12033 by MomtoRyan
Although I'm not in the medical field (yet), I will share with you what I have learned from my work experiences in the engineering profession:
(1) NO ONE will look out for you but you. Ask for everything you want up front - salary, retirement, health insurance, schedule, etc. (2) Promises don't mean a thing a year later unless they've been written into an agreement and signed. (3) Employers tend to have a different view of what "I'll try my best means." In my experience it has meant that they will wait as long as possible to "try" and sometimes conveniently won't be able to find anyone else. Are you willing to permanantly accept the night call if that happens?

I'm not trying to be negative, just giving you some points to consider before accepting/signing a contract. Make a list of your potential concerns and discuss them up front to see if some agreement can be made (and signed) that you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

More
11 years 11 months ago #12034 by mumble*
Thanks a bunch for your replies. It's given me more broader perspective of what I should be expecting from employers. I am looking for other opportunities but most offers require longer commutes. Any way if I do sign up for this I will get it all in writing the hours and the calls.

I agree it's sad that doctors don't get health insurances, one of my close friend is a single mom of 2 teenagers and she works 3 jobs and pay for her own health insurance. No momtoRyan, I'll not be able to leave home at 2 am to take nightcalls!thanks for the tips. I do not have loan repayments, thanks to my parents.

My mentor/financial advisor (a Financial consultant whom I met while in residency who gives free advices!)advised me to join as an independent contractor and not an 'employee' and pay for my own health insurance and malpractice insurance so that my family will still be covered if my husband is out of job for months together which is a possibility him being in IT field.

Two Qs

1. Anyone has experiece being an 'independent contractor'? What are the benefits?

2. Should I be asking for more compensation since I am going to be paying for my own health insurance and malpractice insurance. I think I can answer that ..I think I should!

Keep your comments flowing. You girls have no idea how supported I feel being connected with you all. Virtual it is but connection is there!!

mumble

Your children may not be listening to you but they are watching you very closely

More
11 years 11 months ago #12035 by mumble*
Sorry I changed my id from chipmunk back to mumble so pls note we are the same...chipmuck and mumble, from now on mumble...I'v got it all jumbled!

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!