× General Discussion

Successful Premeds at Comm College

More
14 years 1 week ago #12695 by Bethany
Hi!

I usually see people knocking the idea of doing premed at a community college.

So, I was wondering, are there any people here who DID go along and do their premed (whether on-time or post bacc) at a community college and then successfully matriculate to med school?

I'm curious because I'll be done with my bachelor's in May, so I need to make some big decisions this spring.

Thanks,
Bethany

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #12696 by Allison
I did my first 2 years of undergrad at a CC and am transfering in the fall. I talked to the admissions department at my med school of choice and was told that while it is OK to take some classes ( science classes is what I'm talking about of course) at a CC they want most to have come from a university. There is a stigma associated with CC and a lot of schools are not willing to look past that at all.

Allison

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein

More
14 years 1 week ago #12697 by DrWuStar*
Hi,

I decided to go into medicine after i had already graduated with a bio degree from a 4 year school. So I had already done my bio and chem prereqs at a 4 year school, but I took my physics and english prereqs at the local community college in night classes. I was working full time, so I couldn't go to school during the day at the local university, and they didn't offer the classes I needed at night. also, it would have been SOOOOO much more expensive to take the classes at the university, so I decided to go with the CC. I got into a great med school, but I do think the CC classes may have been a liability, since I did not even get interviews at most of the schools I applied to. That's ok though - I only needed the one!

I agree that it is ok to do some, but not all, of your science prereqs at CC. Also, everyone knows that CC classes are easier than university classes even if they are supposedly the same. So if you take CC classes, make sure you get A's. Good luck!

More
14 years 1 week ago #12698 by starfish
While speaking to my advisor about the post-grad premed couses he advised me against taking classes at a community college. He informed me that not all med schools except cc coursework, but if I knew what schools I were interested in applying to, check with them and be sure that the courses at cc are acceptable.

I personally think it's silly and need i say it? discrimination. Simply because it is a cc doesn't mean it's of a lower caliber. We have to pay enough as it is and I think that they should realize that cost-effectiveness is important too. Then again I could hear them say, if you want it that badly that how much are you willing to pay? Sometimes I think they'd like to see how much of a mental contortionist we can be before we get there. Twister anyone? :D

More
14 years 1 week ago #12699 by DrWuStar*

Originally posted by starfish:
I personally think it's silly and need i say it? discrimination. Simply because it is a cc doesn't mean it's of a lower caliber. We have to pay enough as it is and I think that they should realize that cost-effectiveness is important too. Then again I could hear them say, if you want it that badly that how much are you willing to pay? Sometimes I think they'd like to see how much of a mental contortionist we can be before we get there. Twister anyone? :D

Well, i have to disagree and say that CC courses definitely are of a lower caliber. the science courses i took at CC (physics with calculus 1 and 2) were SOOOOOOOOO much easier than the ones i took when i was in college for real at a 4 year school. I got A's, and I'm sure if i had tried taking physics with calculus at the school i graduated from, i would have been very lucky to get a B. The med schools want to feel sure you can handle a lot of difficult course work before they accept you, because med school is really tough. if your most challenging academic experiences before med school were CC classes, you would be in for a rude awakening. so i don't think it's completely wrong for them to look at CC courses as having less merit.

But that being said, CC courses do cover the same material, so you get the basic info and skills you need. And i hear you on the money thing. i would have had to wait another year to apply if i had paid university prices, even in-state, because i would have had to spend the money i had saved for applying to med school on prereq courses. :rolleyes:

More
14 years 1 week ago #12700 by momofchris
I think it depends on the individual CC and teachers. I attended CC for 2 years prior to transferring a 4-year school and took all of my basic science classes there. There were Honors sections available for some of the classes and they were TOUGH!! Classes were really small and I had awesome teachers, so I ended up learning the material really well. I also scored well on the science portion of the MCAT largely due to my CC coursework (13B, 12P).
I ended up with 4 acceptances, one of which was a top-25 school.
I personally feel that I would never have learned the material as well if I had been in a larger class at a big state university. I did go on to take some advanced biology classes later at a 4-year school, so that might be a good compromise to consider.
I personally don't think one year of General Biology is nearly enough to do well on the BS part of the MCAT. I'd suggest adding a semester of Physiology, Cell Biology, maybe Biochemistry and Genetics at a 4-year school later. So if it were me, I'd go ahead and take most of my basic science at a CC, then go on to take a couple of electives later at a 4-year school.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!