× General Discussion

Should I do it?

More
10 years 10 months ago #13259 by RNmomof4
Hi All, I've been lurking for a while. I have been an RN for 14 yrs. I wanted to be an MD from an early age. Iloved high school BIO dissection class, loved learning first aid for Girl scouts, and enjoyed nursing education immensely. I loved putting the pieces together and formulating a picture of the patient, their illness and treatment plan. There has always been this little niggle however...I looked at furthering my nursing education...many different tracks, but none of them excite me. I thought long and hard about what it was that fired my engines.... I loved looking at sheep's heart,(Cordae Tendinae), Having a human uterus in my hands during surgical block as a student nurse, putting the pieces together on an acute abdomen and sending him for emergency surgery.
I just spent the weekend working at the hospital, and any doctor that I asked said "Just go for NP, they do the same stuff as us"...I don't think so!!! One of the doctor's was encouraging. She was a non-trad student, and feels that nurses make great MD's. Ijust don't know...I have 4 beautiful children, a reasonably happy marriage(!) and a stable job. Do I want to upset the applecart....I'm not sure that this is an itch I can ignore....but maybe I could live with it. Did any of you go through this angst??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #13260 by rianah100
Just make sure you are ready to work real hard for the next (at least) 7 years. It is definitely doable but just realize you need real good grades and EC's even before applying. In my case, I spent about 40K and 3 yrs. before I got in. Nurses have nice hours and pay but I have seen a lot of nurses become doctors. Good luck!

More
10 years 10 months ago #13261 by ULRN
Hi there RNmom, I too am an RN wanting to attend medical school. However, I've been a nurse for less than a year, but medical school is what I've always wanted to do, and like you, I have looked at many different paths (i.e. nurse anesthetist and NP) but like you, they don't excite me and I'm just not interested. I say, follow your heart! Good luck in whichever route you choose.

More
10 years 10 months ago #13262 by nightnurse
Another nurse hear answering your call. Also been a nurse for 14 years with a 7year old, took the MCAT but didn't do to well..plan on taking it in April...maybe. Anyway, get your sciences together and make it happen. Follow your passion and do not let anyone discourage you.

Many will say it's not possible, but few would admit to your success. Follow your heart because it ever lies.

More
10 years 10 months ago #13263 by RNMD2b
i am a rn student struggling with the same dilemma. sometimes i am convinced i should be a crna or np other times i am not. it is very hard to make a decision.

More
10 years 10 months ago #13264 by justme
I am an RN, have been for almost 4 years. I decided I want to go to medical school. It's something I always wanted to do. The whole time I was in nursing school I was thinking "I wish I was in medical school". But I never thought I could do it. Well, I'm going to.

Right now I'm in the middle of pure hell and I'm sure this hell is only going to get worse. I am working 36 hours on nights and going to school full time during the day. Volunteering and I have three small kids.

In my opinion, if you have the resources to make it happen, have the desire and determination, I think you should go for it. I guess it depends on how strong that "itch" is. For me, I go across the stree from the hospital I work at to the medical school and sit in the empty lecture auditoriums and dream about being in medical school. Stupid, I know.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Brittani<br />Premed student

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!