× General Discussion

Should I do it?

More
10 years 10 months ago #13265 by mamiybbs
An RN here too. I have had the very same desire and when I had my kids i let it go. I really wanted a family first. I even started prereq classes after my kids were a few yrs and then dropped it to continue nursing. Now that I am ready to get a new job in nursing since I was out for 4yrs.... I still have the itch I thought I barried. I just had a talk with my DH about this last night and he said I need to just do it. Because the itch no matter how much I supress it. It will always be there. SO I think this is my calling. I love nursing but is not challenging enought to me. Good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #13266 by rnmd?
I completed a semester of NP before deciding on medicine, so here's my two cents - NPs DO NOT do the same things as doctors. The level of education in no way compares (and I was at a RIGOROUS NP program, relative to some other programs). I realized that the depth of knowledge I thought I would be attaining through the NP program just wasn't going to cut it for either my intellectual interests or for caring for complex patients. I didn't want to be a mediocre practitioner. I went through some tough times when I was making this decision, but now that I've made it, and dropped out of my nursing program, there's no turning back, and I couldn't be happier! I'm just so excited. Like the previous poster said, nursing just wasn't challenging enough. Maybe we're all gluttons for punishment, but I can't wait to start med school!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!