× General Discussion

NY Times discusses the match

More
11 years 8 months ago #13337 by twinmom
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/fashion/19beauty.html?em&ex=1206072000&en=c058 a76e6bf8d586&ei=5087%0A

An article telling us about how competitive derm is, among other things.

Premeds, even if you're not interested in derm, there's an interactive feature on matching into different specialties that should be interesting and informative. Certainly, it'll give you a feel for what's realistic and what you'd need to do to get there.

Speaking of the match, good luck to all you 4th years!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13338 by Baby Einstein
Interesting article. I wish they had talked more about the couple though. Both med students, both matched in derm, with two little kids! She flew to an interview 3 days after giving birth! I'd love to know more about their story and how they made it work. I mean, I have it much easier and I probably wouldn't match in derm even if I wanted to. As a side note, my daughter has the same cute little red dress...

More
11 years 8 months ago #13339 by Doc201X
Love to see poeple of color not only at Harvard Med, but trying to match into Derm! I just wish HE were a LOT more humble:

“The No. 1 thing that is going to save your life is the humdrum preventative stuff like blood pressure and cholesterol,” Mr. Hocker said. “But there is not a lot of respect for doctors who do that because anyone can get into it."

Not a lot of respect? WTF? :mad:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
11 years 8 months ago #13340 by twinmom
That's right - I hope (for her sake, since they're couples matching) that he didn't say that sort of thing at his interviews. There are way better reasons to go into derm than that.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13341 by lori
Funny thing. I actually didn't read the article but I am taking that it talks about how hard it is to match in derm. I have a good one for all. The Army :scratchchin: !! How about that, huh? Who would have thought? Most competitive residency spot for the Army for all of our 2008 residents was Ortho and ER.

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
11 years 8 months ago #13342 by Doc201X

Originally posted by twinmom:
That's right - I hope (for her sake, since they're couples matching) that he didn't say that sort of thing at his interviews. There are way better reasons to go into derm than that.

Obviously he's going into derm for the 1) "prestige" and 2) Money. And I'm sure he didn't say THAT at his med school or residency interviews. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, I'd say that reputation wise, Derm is at the bottom of the "prestige" list based on the Docs I've worked around, and I've worked around a few Derms even in research. I mean what are most of them who end up doing research gonna do, find a better way to clear up zits, lol? Having said that, I'm a big fan of proactiv!
:)

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!