× General Discussion

wanting to major in premed but how do I start?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13356 by mamiybbs
Hi everyone, I have finally decide to go for my dreams to become a doctor. Nothing will stop me now. I just don't know how to begin. Do I go to my local University and speak with someone in their medical school? I already have my BS but don't have all of the qualified prereq. and the few that I do, are 8yrs old or more. Who did you guys went to see to get in to the "premed program" is there such program or is that just the name for people who are trying to get ready for the MCATS. Any infor would be appreciated. Sorry for the ignorance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13357 by lori
Best person to talk to would be the pre-med advisor of the college or university. The fact that you have a BS is a plus. Most of the medical school require the following: 1 year English, 1 year Physics, one year Chem, one year Biology, Pre calc and Calc and all of the appropriate labs. Many med schools are now requiring one year BioChem too. Recommend talking with your premed advisor because they can guide you better. My undergrad school had a board that you had to attend prior to apps to med school. This was to recommend/not recommend you to med school. If you have this board (the name escapes me-- been awhile), you will need to do this as many med schools will not consider you if you don't have their recommendation). Hope this helps. write you a

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
11 years 6 months ago #13358 by twinmom
All of the above plus - you can figure out what your school will require for premeds by spending some time on the university's website, searching for premed advisors, courses, whatever. There will be something there advising undergrads on what courses they must take. Not all schools will have a premedical committee, but some might. You also might look into seeing if your school has an actual post-baccalaureate program (ask around, google, play on their website, they just might). You sound like an ideal candidate for this sort of thing. I didn't, since I had valid gen chem and physics, but there are folks in my class who did them, and they were immensely prepared as a result. :) I guess it all boils down to this: play around as much as you can on your university's website and that of your closest medical school (hopefully the same institution)? That's where I learned this stuff. Believe it or not, I was under the impression I'd have to get an entire second bachelor's degree when I already had a masters!! The internet is a wonderful thing.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13359 by mamiybbs
Thanks guys so much. I will do just that. I appreciate your answers. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!