× General Discussion

Schools friendly toward people over age 33?

More
14 years 8 months ago #1207 by Doc201X
For schools that publish such lists, 33 seems to be the age limit at a lot of schools for matriculated students. Can anyone list schools that have more than that one "outlier" individual that is over the age of 33?

Now I know that there are going to be responses from folks that believe that schools don't actively discriminate against students over a certain age, a great exception being Osteopathic schools. However for those over a certain age AND that have a blemished academic records (like me) I haven't found things to be all that "equal". And I'd rather not waste my money on a school that had never matriculated a person my age (38) hoping to be that "outlier" that gets admitted.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #1208 by sargasso
in my early 30s, I am the oldest female. however there are SEVERAL older males. granted there are a few women a year or so younger than me. but is it interesting that the oldest students are males?

More
14 years 8 months ago #1209 by momofchris
At my school (ETSU Quillen College of Medicine), we had a 51 year old and a 43 year old (both women) in a class of 60. We also had at least 10 people in their 30's, though I do think most of them were younger than 35. If you're not from TN, it's hard to get in here, but worth a try, especially if you're interested in primary care or from a rural area.
Also, I have heard that Medical College of Wisconsin accepts 50% of their class from out-of-state and has a lot of students in their 30's and 40's.

More
14 years 8 months ago #1210 by Doc201X

Originally posted by momofchris:
At my school (ETSU Quillen College of Medicine), we had a 51 year old and a 43 year old (both women) in a class of 60. We also had at least 10 people in their 30's, though I do think most of them were younger than 35. If you're not from TN, it's hard to get in here, but worth a try, especially if you're interested in primary care or from a rural area.
Also, I have heard that Medical College of Wisconsin accepts 50% of their class from out-of-state and has a lot of students in their 30's and 40's.

Does ETSU still give "in-state" preference to residents of states contigious to TN? I know they used to in the past.

So our list includes the following schools:

EVMS
ETSU
ECU
Howard

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
14 years 8 months ago #1211 by efex101
Mayo for sure accepts those over 33...I was 38 when accepted and there are others in my class over 30 (not sure how many) but for a school that "only" accepts 42 that is pretty darn good...

More
14 years 8 months ago #1212 by Cabinbuilder
LECOM definitely take students over 30. My class has 250 students, I would say at least 1/4-1/3 are over 30. There is the full range of ages 21 to 53.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!