× General Discussion

Would this be accepting special treatment?

More
14 years 7 months ago #13753 by sargasso

Originally posted by Mya:

If people think of your race as lazy...you're not going to single handedly change their views. I'm sure there've been other hard working brown skinned americans before you...and if they continue to think negative about your race (based on nothing objective), you're not going to be invited to the dance, regardless. Don't waste your time.

Actually you'd be surprised how many people have never dealt with minorities. they only know what they have seen on TV. we have a situation at our school now where what has been negatively done beforehand by urms will affect current and future urms. So the success of a few may help the outlook some. So it bcomes a personal choice of how you feel about this issue and how you pick and choose your battles. that's why this may be true depending on if the OP chooses this battle:

Originally posted by Mya:
I admit, you want to be aware of accepting "special treatment." But I argue, accepting a call switch doesn't qualify as "special treatment."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #13754 by Button
I'm surprised to see this post going down this road.

I really think you guys are making way to big a deal out of this person's possible motives for offering to switch call. It happens all the time in residency (with no weird motives). People are busy and do not have time to think through all the stuff you are twisting this in to. Some people ask to take extra call because they genuinely want (or need) to learn and be exposed to as much as possible while in training.

My med school and residency were incredibly diverse race/ethnicity wise. White was the minority in my residency. We all were friends and looked out for each other (and each others families). Although, I'm sure this is not the norm in all parts of the USA.

More
14 years 7 months ago #13755 by MTaylor

Actually you'd be surprised how many people have never dealt with minorities

Perhaps you're right, this may be true in certain areas...but in Southern California, everyone is very familiar with brown-skinned people.

I'm surprised to see this post going down this road

I agree...switching call is not a big deal. There are things to worry about...and this is not one of them.

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
14 years 7 months ago #13756 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Button:
I'm surprised to see this post going down this road.I really think you guys are making way to big a deal out of this person's possible motives for offering to switch call. It happens all the time in residency (with no weird motives).

I was born and spent a good part of my life in California (San Fran to be exact). What I can tell you is that when I moved down South, I not only felt like I was in a different country but a different century!!!!! California is a HUGE exception to what goes on in the real world. Heck, with all the "real" 38DD's and size 2's running around, it hardly seems like the America to me.

Again for the record, I'm not questioning the "motives" of the person who was offered the call switch nor the person who offered it. But unfortunately, it's not their "perceptions" that are going to be recorded on the students eval.

Gee, maybe I should have asked my SO to reconsider that position working for Google in silicon valley?? :confused: Cali still seems like a racial paradise :yes:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #13757 by MTaylor
I agree, California is a great place to live. I can't begin to understand what goes thru the minds of all those folks in the "red states." :p

I've spent time in the South...and I must say, talk about *backwards*!! But, I'm biased, born and raised here.

It's not shangri-la...but I think it's as close as it gets... ;)

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
14 years 7 months ago #13758 by shelby2000
Whoa...I think it is time to return to vain-is-her's topic.

I think you should take the offer. When someone genuinely offers you something you need or a gift of time or self, or whatever it may be, it may be like a blessing for that person to give. I love it when I can help someone out or be a support for another.

I feel that if I offer to help someone and they turn me down it is a disappointment, because I am so excited and eager to help. I say that because I offered to take a friend on a spa day to get facials, massages...the works and she said, "No, I don't want you to spend your money on me." Well, if I didn't want to do it, I would have never offered in the first place.

When you say no to someone who wants to give you something, you may be taking away the blessing that they want to be to you or their opportunity to, like someone said earlier, "pay it forward."

Although your situation is no spa day you may be quite the blessee to the blesser by taking him up on his offer. I am sure he wants to be helpful and supportive to you. You said you would have to learn to handle family and career. Guess what? These are the kind of things you do to "handle" things in life. "Handling things" doesn't mean you have to suffer through and make yourself crazy in the meantime, it means grabbing every opportunity that opens itself up to make life easier or more managable.

Don't feel you have to work 20 hours a day and then manage to see your family, wash the laundry, feed the dog, go to the grocery store... and on and on in the other 4 hours to qualify as handling family and career.

So, you take that time for you and your family and don't you feel guilty about doing it. ;)

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!