× General Discussion

Most Family Friendly Specialities

More
10 years 6 months ago #14720 by Doc201X
It's a pretty popular sentiment for people to say do what you love but from what I've seen, most people ignore their inner truth, and go for what pays the most money, followed by jobs which offer the better "lifestyle".

In other words, most people seem quite content to be unhappy for most of their adult life.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #14721 by residentmom
I am an FP, which I consider pretty family friendly. My husband is in anesthesia, and residency has not been as delightful as you might think, but I have high hopes for PP.
asunshine- I have the job you want. :) I am employed by a hospital, who do my management, billing, insurance, etc etc and just pay me to doctor. I don't make the most I maybe could, but I also got paid to take maternity leave (not happening in true PP!) and I don't have to deal with managerial crap that I have no interest in. I work about 36 hours a week in the office and take call 2-3 weeknights a month and a weekend every other month- from home. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
10 years 6 months ago #14722 by asunshine
You guys are hilarious! (Hm, maybe I should look into rural Kansas...sounds kind of fun ;) ).

I hope the AMA doesn't kill me for posting their actual match stats, but here are the ROADE specialty ratio of US senior applying to positions available (2008):

RADIOLOGY
PGY-1: 0.2
PGY-2: 1.0
Median USMLE: 235

OPTHAMOLOGY
No match data

RAD/ONC
PGY-1: 0.1
PGY-2: 0.8
Median USMLE: 236

ANESTHESIA
PGY-1: 0.6
PGY-2: 0.6
Median USMLE: 220

DERM
PGY-1: 0.2
PGY-2: 0.8
Median USMLE: 240
(BTW, 47% of matched seniors were AOA, 12% had a PhD).

ENT
PGY-1: 0.9
Median USMLE: 239

And, to contrast,
Family Med
PGY-1: 2.0
Median USMLE: 209

IM
PGY-1: 1.5
Median USMLE: 222

Peds
PGY-1: 1.3
Median USMLE: 217

This is not taking into account the FMGs applying, the ratios are lower then. I'm not sure the difference between PGY-1 and -2 (i.e. you do a transitional year and THEN apply as PGY-2? Do some people do derm as PGY-1 with no transitional year??)

Hint to med students--you can get access to this info if you are an AMA member, or through your school's academic support center.

More
10 years 5 months ago #14723 by rs4
I love psych, and it works pretty well with part-time, which I have done in private practice (about 35 hours/week) and academics (.7FTE). I have a former classmate who does radiation oncology and makes more $ for less hours, but we both are happy with our choice.

Full-time for academic faculty at my institution is considered 60 hours/week...this just isn't a forty hour week kind of career.

RS

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!