× General Discussion

Postbac or Community College

More
10 years 9 months ago #15171 by consult2health
Hi ladies,
I was wondering if anyone took an alternative route to postbac and what would they recommend to someone who's weighting the options. I have MS and BS but none are in the Medical/Healthcare field, so I'd need to take all the prereqs except for Calculus I & II.

my q-s are:
- where have you completed your prereqs?
- what would you recommend, i.e. what other options, besides post bac are available out there?
- I know that one could complete prereqs at a community college or enroll at a University, but was wondering which route is best (i.e. what'd admission committee prefer)?

I am looking forward your answer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #15172 by Melbelle
This doesn't answer most of your questions, but as someone who spent a long time going to various schools, switching majors, etc. I thought I'd give you my perspective on community college education.

I had the most phenomenal chemistry instructor at the community college. That made organic chemistry at the university easier, and as I prepare to take my MCAT, I appreciate once again the quality of that education. If you do incredibly well on the MCAT chemistry section, I don't think they will worry where my general chemistry credits came from. I'm not an admissions board, but that seems logical to me. I also find it much easier to learn in the small classes and with the individual attention I had at the community college.

On the other hand, my advisor at the university did tell me that medical schools like to see that the upper-division science courses were done at a university. So, maybe that's true.

There are also possibilities for terrible instructors, and community college is less likely to offer a variety of teachers to choose from. I hope no one ever asks me a calculus question, because my math teacher took an attitude of "well, you did it wrong, but that's okay." I wonder sometimes if I learned any calculus at all, or just made it all up myself and it was "okay."

More
10 years 8 months ago #15173 by Drme2b
Hello! I am in the process of taking my prereqs at a University. I had considered the community college route, but after contacting the med schools that I want to apply to I was informed by all that they prefer them done at a 4 yr University and by 3 that they flat out would not accept CC prereqs. So if you have an idea of where you might want to apply then its probably best to check with them so you aren't stuck later. That being said, I have heard of some people getting in with prereqs done at CC, but their MCAT scores were really great.

For me I also needed to consider the financial aspect. Some post bacs offer financial aid, some don't and most are very expensive. Try to scope out every single possible program/option for classes around you and compare the pros & cons. Another idea is a 2nd bachelors. I have a friend that is doing a second bachelors in bio just so she can get the financial aid to complete the prereqs.

Good luck!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #15174 by Melbelle
Oh, that's a good point. I know someone who pursued a second bachelor's degree for the financial aid also. I'm not even sure he completed it, but he declared it in process to get his prereqs done.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15175 by consult2health
Thank you all for taking your time to post the responces! Melbelle, could you tell me more how did you pick the university you're taking your prereqs at? I thought that I can't enroll and start taking just the prereqs, unless I am accepted to a full time program, i.e. BS/BA or MS/MA.

More
10 years 8 months ago #15176 by Melbelle
I am actually in a BS program. I don't know if you can do it otherwise, or if you could get any funding. I don't know that you have to complete the degree, but you probably have to be accepted in one.

As for the school, it was easy to choose. My husband (who decided to go back to school at the same time as me) got a scholarship for any school in the state. There is one school in Oregon that offers a degree in Nutrition Science, which was my interest, so that narrowed it down very quickly. He's engineering, so he could go almost anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!