× General Discussion

Mother's Day Competition 2006! Books to be won! Enter here, reply to this thread

More
13 years 4 months ago #15314 by AnotherJen
I love Moms in Medicine because we know in our souls the unconditional love that tears at the heart when a loved one is sick, and becuase we are mothers, it is ever-present. For many of our classmates it will take years to learn this lesson and to see how it affects patients, their families, and healthcare providers themselves...

I love MomMDs because they are there for each other through it all, with love and support for strangers who share a common bond. We've all taken on so much, too much, some might say, but we help each other bear it with grace. :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #15315 by TLC
I love Moms in Medicine because they compel us to believe that the role of the woman is no longer one or the other, but the two intertwined into one.

More
13 years 4 months ago #15316 by Hermione
I love Moms in Medicine because only they understand that everyone is someone else's baby.

Ever since I had my daughter, my perspective on other people, especially ill or sick people, has changed.

Before I became a mother, whenever I saw a stranger suffering on TV, for example, people starving in Africa, sick children at St. Jude's Hospital, or elderly people who have to choose between medications or food, I would feel moved, something inside me would kinda stir up.

However, ever since I had my baby, that feeling has become so much stronger. Not only that, but now it is accompanied by a deep empathy for that person's mother. Only after becomeing a mother have I learned the true meaning of the word compassion, a feeling that I just couldn't produce before, I couldn't fathom caring for someone so much.

"Compassion is the ultimate and most meaningful embodiment of emotional maturity." --Arthur Jersild

It's not impossible nor could I even say that it is difficult for a non-mother or a man to feel compassion, but in my personal experience only becoming a mother could have allowed me to mature emotionally so quickly.

In part, this experience is what has driven me to want to become a doctor. I think that feeling compassion for your patients is a quality that can greatly enhance the quality of care that you give them. And I think that this feeling is easier to attain when you're a mother.

"Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching the people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want."<br />-Bl. Mother Teresa

More
13 years 3 months ago #15317 by lowserotonin
I love moms in medicine as being a mother and a doctor are two acts of immeasurable sacrifice of self in terms of spirit, soul and mind that one can give in the cause of another human being and amazingly it can be said that, being a mother and a doctor are the most gratifying of all experiences that one can encounter in this life in terms of spirit, soul and mind. :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #15318 by Rachel'smom
I love mom's in medicine because we can encourage each other to be better moms, wives and doctors too.

More
13 years 3 months ago #15319 by MomMD
Sorry for delay. Winners to be announced shortly!

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!