× General Discussion

What's your exercise routine?

More
14 years 4 months ago #15725 by weirdo
Yeah, I'm worried about gaining weight during school b/c I have a tendency to snack when I'm studying late at night to keep me awake. I'm trying to lose weight before I start school, but I have had some weird knee problems (pray I don't need surgery). So I have started swimming laps a few times a week. I like it b/c it's calming and gentle, and I don't get sweaty and hot, although I still have to rinse off the chlorine afterwards. OK, wearing a swimsuit sucks, but wearing goggles and a swimcap is fun -makes me feel like I'm training for the swimteam. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #15726 by Angie O'Plasty
I agree with the previous poster--swimming rocks! Especially when the weather is hot and jogging etc. just doesn't sound appealing. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't really do anything for building bone mass, since it's not weight bearing. So it's a good idea to alternate it with some weight training to get those benefits.

More
14 years 4 months ago #15727 by Emily2651
I run 3X/wk and lift weights 2X/wk. But I've still gained 3 or 4 pounds this year (MS1) ... definitely got the snacking-during-studying going on. :(

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
14 years 4 months ago #15728 by DrRissa
Definately get a pedometer. www.digiwalker.com has some neat ones that calculate caloric expendature also. 10,000 steps is the daily goal.

I joined a health club. It was the only way I could commit myself to exercising regularily. With 2 little ones it's just taxing at times. The gym has excellent childcare (something I'm so picky about), and they page me when Hunter needs to be nursed.

Anyways, I typically go to Yoga (sometimes Pilates) classes 2 or 3 times a week at the gym. And often 2-3 times do yoga at home before bed.

I've tried a few other classes there also.

I usually go to the gym every other day. I alternate weight training with aerobic excersise. My favorite machine is the elliptical trainer with the moving arm bars. Great total body workout. I keep a chart at my gym of what sets & reps I do on what machines and what days, and also aerobic machines I use and for how long. This gives me a good idea of how long I need to fit in whichever type of workout I want. I can spend anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours at the gym depending on what I'm doing.

I also swim after every single workout. It's great excercise and feels relaxing after a good workout.

I find when I workout I come home refreshed and motivated, and then get much more household stuff done than I would usually. I sleep better, and also tend to eat better since I feel guilty spending so much time & $$ on working out only to pack back chips & popcorn.

More
14 years 4 months ago #15729 by Eli
Thank you all so much for all the replies. As of this morning I put myself on a "diet" if I have to snack while studying, I'll eat raisins, dry nuts and lots and lots of water (coffee doesn't work for me). I think I'm also going to start chewing gum...I think the actual bitting feeling is what helps me release tension. I looked at starting a gym, but its soooo expensive around me (great daycare but$$$) I would absolutely LOVE to go swimming, I did throughoout my elementary school yrs, and then stopped in HS :rolleyes:
I'm going to try to wake up earlier tomorrow and see if I can jump around a little bit :rotfl: I will let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks...Eli

"The strength of our present state of mind will always be the master of our destiny" Bhante Wimala

More
14 years 4 months ago #15730 by Laramisa
I just started wearing a pedometer with a goal of 10,000 steps per day. We also try to go on a long hike on Sundays. I also invested in a good treadmill with an incline a couple of years ago because I could never find time to go to the gym and I don't like to run. (I've been thinking about mounting my home computer over my treadmill like that doctor Levine at Mayo Clinic so that I can walk while I'm on the internet, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet)

I've been struggling with my weight since I quit smoking and had my baby and my weight has been going dramatically up and down every couple of years over the last 10 years -I've tried every diet under the sun- it's really frustrating. I was very active with sports and dancing when I was younger and I was always slim, but my jobs have been way too sedentary the last few years.
This is my current experiment for weight loss.

For my diet right now I'm trying to be less extreme than my usual diets and concentrate more on eating healthy rather than making a lot of restrictions I can't maintain. So I cut out sweets, pastries and chips and limit caffeine. But make sure I get in 6-8 servings of fruits and veg, at least one salad a day, and at least 2 whole grains (usually home made muesli with berries and nuts, whole grain bread and rice). Other than that I tell myself I can eat what I want.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!